Skip to main content

End of Summer -Updates!

Wow, I can't believe it's been a year since we moved our blog to www.MoreThanDNA.org! A lot has happened in that year. My husband and I became Foster Parents to some amazing kiddos and still have one of those kiddos living with us. We have loved having "Shoes" with us and can't believe how much he has grown and learned in the year!I'm so proud of him! We have court next week, so prayers that it goes okay (and doesn't get continued again- that just drags it out longer for the kids). He is now 39 months old and starting Pre-K this month!

Other big changes include: Some renovation to our home (complete Bath rehab & updated plumbing throughout), I started a new gene-targeting medication (symdeko) that is helping to keep me stable these last 3 months, and I got an AffloVest! I'm loving my new portable vest! Also, career wise...we both switched jobs! Andrew also started Seminary this summer to get a Masters Degree in Divinity. He has always wanted to be a Pastor, but this year a lot of doors opened in this area for him that made it possible. We are truly so lucky to have such amazing family, friends, and church to support us in everything we do!

I am still doing Real Estate, but I switched companies!  I can't believe how much my business has grown in the last 4 months since I made the switch! Andrew and I are excited to see what happens when the school year starts!

I'm looking forward to seeing how much "Shoes" learns this year in school. Also, I'm hoping to be more physically active and work out more. I'd like to see a REAL increase in the my lung function! I'm just starting to rebound from my lower numbers. So hopefully, that will get better! I swear my planner and pure adrenaline gets me through the days. Thank goodness for the Symdeko- which has given WAY more energy and ability to maintain my weight. I even made it through the entire  zoo (5+ hours) last week with no big issues! Although we always take my sister with. We joke that Andrew watches & helps "Shoes" and my sister is there to watch/help me. She helps me up inclines, steps, and keeps on eye if I am getting overheated.. She can also tell when I'm slowing down and need a snack. I don't notice, because I get so wrapped in the activities, it's nice to have her there to help out! We had a blast and look forward to other little trips with our little guy! What is your favorite day or weekend trip? Send me some ideas? Also- favorite zoos!!?? Our little guy LOVES zoos and animals!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. I loved seeing "shoes" even for a few minutes. You are doing an awesome job with him. I've done the foster care/older child adoption thing (in an era when childcare assitance/daycare options were few). Will be praying the court date goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is Shoes doing in Pre-K. Hope all goes well. Some of my favorite places to visit are Discovery Center Museum and Midway Village Museum in Rockford. Peoria Chiefs or any Minor League Ball game. Monticello Railway Museum. Navy Pier. Shawnee National Forest. Galena IL. Blackberry Farm. Garfield Park Conservatory and Wisc Dells. Favorite zoos Lincoln Park. Niabi and Cosley in Wheaton. Have not been to Scovill zoo in Decatur but seems like it would be good one to go see. A couple of places have not been to but seem like they would be interesting. Pirates Cove Children's Theme Park in Elk Grove and Aikman Wildlife Adventures in Arcola. How are you doing. Hope your lung function continues to improve and that things aren't to hectic

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Minnesota Zoo is absolutely wonderful, we took a family trip there a few weeks ago and my 3 year old had so much fun. He even got to take a camel ride there

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds amazing! We will have to go, our Honeymoon was to Minnesota (Stillwater). Loved it there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are doing good Doug, thanks for all the ideas! I hope to do the Dells soon! We have done some Rivermen Peoria Hockey games, but the not Peoria Chiegs Baseball yet. Not sure why, we should take advantage of that being so close by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Just waiting to see what happens this month!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u