Skip to main content

A Simple Hug


I'm a hugging type person. In fact, I have a couple friends that aren't big on hugs or any kind of public displays of affection. However, they usually bring the bubble barrier (as I call it) down to hug me good bye. I'm also super extroverted and LOVE to hang out with friends.... Therefore, not being able to see my friends (with CF) in person drive me nuts.

A lot of people (in society) don't realize that people with CF cannot be around each other. This is due to the bacteria we colonize in our lungs. It doesn't affect non-CF individuals. But, as we come in close proximity with other people with CF those bugs spread and continue to damage our lungs faster. We fight off the bacteria with antibiotics, but when I was younger we didn't have many options for antibiotics (especially nebulized). This meant we could not eradicate the bacteria and were stuck with it in our lungs for the rest of our life. The more bacteria we culture, the faster our lungs are damaged, the more hospitalization, the more antibiotics, the faster we grow resistant. Even with all of today's medication some bugs take permanent hold.

This is why we have no in-person support groups. However, not too long ago I had a friend from out East visit Andrew and I. He is a huge advocate for the CF community (as someone who knows others with CF, but doesn't have CF himself). I realized after he left that for the first time in life, I discussed CF topics and talked about CF friends with someone face-to-face. Someone who knew what I was talking about and has similar group of online CF friends. It was so neat being able to talk about this part of my life. Yes, I talk about CF to my family and non-CF friends face-to-face. But, they don't know any of my CF friends, so it's a very one sided conversation. So seeing my friend on Saturday was not only fun, but a new experience for me.

Now some with CF choose to date and/or hang out with others with CF. If both people are okay with the risks- then that is up to them. I'm not judging, CF is tough to deal with every day and we each know we have different views on the "6 foot rule." Everyone knows whats best for them. I choose to not break the CFF's 6 foot (outdoor) rule and try to avoid most indoor function where others with CF will be. I do attend a couple BIG events that have 1-2 others with CF present, but we steer clear of each other. Not breaking the rule is HARD. But my childhood is a constant reminder of why the rules are there. A lot (almost all) of my childhood friends with CF have passed away. Sadly, we didn't know about cross infection of superbugs when I was little. So many from my clinic spread the bacteria to others and couldn't get their health back. When I was little before this knowledge, I'd spend summers with my CF best friends, stay at their houses, they'd come visit me. We went to summer camps and hung out in hospitals together. It made having CF way less scary and lonely. It was when I was 12 years old I was told to not be around my friends anymore. Sadly, most passed away between the ages of 10-20. I lost touch with a couple, but it was hard cutting off my friends. Internet was not as well used and many of us had no way of communicating other than phone calls. By the time I was in my mid-twenties I had over 15-friends pass away (5 of them being my best friends). I didn't share much of this loss with my friends in school. I kept it all to myself. But, it was the hardest thing I ever had to deal with and it may have made me a little overboard with germs and cross infection rules.


I had one friend that managed to not contract some of the worst bugs and we stayed close for years! Laura passed away in 2014. That was the hardest loss, we had been through so much together. She was 32 and I was 29 years old. Losing her wasn't the only difficult part. Not being there to hold her hand, to hug her, to be with her as she struggled to breathe. She had been under 20% lung function for a long time and was denied twice for lung transplants. She knew she was dying. She was scared and the best I could do was talk to her over the phone or via skype. I felt I wasn't doing enough. Guilt, uncertainty, and sadness- these are major emotions we feel often.





Since Laura's passing, I have been reluctant to let anyone else with CF too close. I'll facebook back and forth, but I don't really do phone call or skype anymore. Maybe at some point, since I do have some CF online friends I'd love to get to know better. But, I am thankful that the CF Community has such a large presence on social media. It's only form of communication and support in most cases. Support is SUPER important, thankfully its something being looked into more. More online support groups are being started. Lack of support may be part of the reason for such high increase in mental health (mainly anxiety /depression) among CF individuals. (Note: I do deal with minor anxiety, but not depression.) But, I think the emotions that come from this lack of close contact with others are very common and very real. It's also a topic I don't see discussed a lot.





I didn't share about cross-infection for sympathy or pity for people with CF. I just want people to be aware of it and I'm always shocked to see how many people had no idea of this area of our lives. It's one of the most difficult aspects to CF and It affects all of us. I hope for a cure, not just medication that keeps us stable (although I'm glad for that too). But, I want an actual CURE so that one day we may be able to hangout and share our stories IN PERSON!






Comments

  1. I was curious how did they come up with the 6 ft rule. Is there any distance that is actually safe. I suppose awhile you get used to following rules. Well even though you know 6ft rule needs to be followed. There has to be times when you see someone you have not seen in awhile. You are thinking to yourself I really want to give this person a hug but they have cf so you can't. And you feel like screaming or pulling your hair out or venting your frustration somehow. Andrew would be like don't worry she gets this way at times. And you would be I'm fine really I am. Everyone would be uh okay while standing 20 ft away. I don't know if I could ever totally accept having to follow rules. I would be like I may have to follow rules but I don't have to like it. For the most part rules laws and regulations are meant to protect us. For the most part. Although I do question the wisdom of some rule makers. They can be over protective at times. Now then there is usually a way of circumventing rules without actually breaking them. The six ft rule wear one of those hazmat suits with its own air supply like they use if there is an outbreak of some kind of pathogen or your working in a lab where everything has to be germ free. Although admittedly they are a pain to put on. Was on hazmat team at place I use to work at and hand to put one on if there was a chemical spill. I have directions written down put into my phone and entered into gps system in car on how to get to your church on the 13th. Now I just have to remember to set alarm. Hope all is going well. See you on 13th

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug! Good Question! And sorry, I haven't been on my blog much. Time slipped away. Yes, there are stats and research that backs up the number 6, for how many feet apart. I'm not sure on all the history, but I know it's based off how far a cough can spread germs or something. And yeah, that's pretty accurate how that situation would go, but I love the idea of a hazmat suit! We can see each other if we are outside and keep a distance, but I don't like doing indoor events and follow the rules for everyone's safety. But, I love that you asked about this! Hope you are well!!!! Thank you for all you do!
    Cheriz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers

5K. I could cry. Beyond Annoyed.

My 5K I paid my registartion fee weeks ago, have been training and I'm ready for the 5K. However, I didn't get to run my 5K today. Why? Because Cystic Fibrosis decided to one up me. I got my spots back friday, and they just got worse and worse. They look like this: They take over my feet, and sometimes my calves. I posted about this a few weeks ago. I had them during the last few performances of Hairspray. I call it the "Mummy disease" because when it happens my joints freeze up and I can't move. So the morning of my 5K I wake up and they are on my thighs...     and on my arms. This is the worst they have been in years. I took pictures to show Dr. B at my clinic on the 11th.  I'm just really bummed and upset about my weekend! I was supposed to run my first 5K!!!!! I then had a bags tournament in Peoria for the Dream Factory, and was then going to head to Champaign for Sat night- Monday! My friend Alex, reserved me a ticket for Ren

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh