Skip to main content

Feelings and a Realistic View

I have a lot of feelings going on, for many, many, many reasons. It all centers around my health and family.

On August 4th we received 3 Foster kiddos, let's call them "Cajun, Barbie, and Shoes" (that is what I refer to them by on FB). It was a very big Roller Coaster ride for the last 3 months.

If that isn't enough worry and emotions to have going on, we can throw my hospital stay and lower lung function into the mix. I knew my lower lung function was not a result of the kids (even though many believe it was)... Yes, I was run down from pulling all the "all nighters" with the kiddos- they are adjusting to a new home and its hard on them. BUT, I have been struggling with lung function for the last year now. I was 60% August 2016. I started Orkambi in Sept and 5 weeks later I was in the 20s.. I was admitted (my family did thanksgiving with me at the hospital last year). When I went home I was between 38-45 for months that followed. Not even getting to 50 was a huge heartbreak for me. I was worried the 38-43 range would be my new baseline. I have nothing against transplants, but I REALLY do not want one (although I won't refuse if the time comes). I didn't understand why I dropped, no new bacteria, no change in anything... then in June of this year I was taken off Orkambi for a different med trial... during that time I popped up to 58. As soon as the period was over and I started back on Orkambi I declined down to 36 and ended up being admitted again.

My two weeks in the hospital and 3 weeks total of IVs did little to nothing for my lung function. 36 to 38 %. However, Doc and I agreed it was time to go off Orkambi and see if I jump up again. I really pushed to stay on it, nowing it is a "Miracle Drug" for many and I hoped it would help me.  So 4 days post-hospital I went off Orkambi. A lot has happened since the hospital stay. Tons of stress over losing 2 of our 3 kiddos, I caught some virus/cold for a few days, then my therapy machine broke (had no nebs for over 5 days- thanks to weekend). So I didn't have much hope walking into my doctor office on Wed.

My weight went up from 110 to 113 in the two weeks, which I was impressed by. And then time for my PFTs. I couldn't believe I blew a 48%. No, it is not in the 50s, but considering everything I had going on in those two weeks... I was amazed I went up 10% since hospital. We definitely think Orkambi was the culprit in my lower lung function and we hope as I continue to not take it, I will climb up into 50s and even hit my 60% again! Please know, I am Pro-Orkambi for others and realize I am one of the very, very few it didn't help. (This post is not anti-Orkambi)

60% lung function is my goal!!!!! Not to add in more exercise, etc.

60% is basically the highest lung function I can ever have, due to scarring and irreversible damage. 20% (for example) is the lower range for transplant. Which means I do not have 100 percentage points to "play with." I have 40 Percentage points in between my healthiest and "game over (for my lungs)." THAT is realistic. Going from 20% to 40% isn't a normal 20% increase... on my scale of life it is a 50%. This means I should congratulate even my little increases and take caution with small decreases.

Means one cold, one flu, one virus dropping us 10% (is more like 25% of our "life"). It gets tougher to combat these illnesses. My psuedo flares whenever I'm ill and I'm becoming more and more resistant to the meds. I'm not unable to take Tobi daily (due to intermediate resistance).  It can be overwhelming if you focus on the negative and scary side of things. I try to remain focused on my future. Getting my function up to 60% and keeping stable, and honestly "holding out" for My "miracle drug." New ones are always in the works, so thank you everyone who has EVER donated, fundraised, or helped!!!!! <3

Comments

  1. What a story. I found it fascinating as a mom of a CF son, who died many years ago. It is astounding all the research & advancements. We didn’t have understanding of much...just did therapy, hospitalizations, prayed & hoped. This inspires me to raise even more when I walk in Great Strides

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the two older children get the right kind of professional help. And that despite whatever problems they have. That they have good memories of the time both of them were with you. No one knows what is going to happen next. Bur whatever happens always try to find something positive about it. I believe that things will always work out how they were meant to be. Which may not be the way you wanted. And may seem like your going uphill all the time. But going down is easy. Not everyone makes it to the top. Only those who are determined to persevere can overcome any obstacles there may be. So whatever happens you will make it through if you are willing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is pretty amazing what has been learned and developed in the CF Community. I always say that I (and other CFers my age) were born in the "caveman" CF era (didn't even have the gene discovered) and then we saw "pyramids being built" (Tobi, Pulmozyme, etc), and we will be lucky enough to see the "space age" and witness a cure (or gene-targeting drugs that are close to the same thing). and thank you for attending Great Strides. I think often of my (passed) CF friends and pray for their families. My laura, Casey, Andrea, Kevin, Danny, Monia, Abby, Shauna, and Rod. <3 Big hugs friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew and I are staying in the kiddos lives as long as we can. We hope to be mentors and visit the older two as much as we can. We already have on visit planned (going Bowling with them). I do believe things will work out, but it is scary not knowing what will happen to the older two. Our little guy is returning home, which is great for him (and I can't imagine how much his Dad has missed him), but as far as the older two, we take it a day at a time. We miss them, but do believe it was the right step. And thank you for the kind words Doug! Hope you are well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved them too. My goal for Great Strides $1000

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u