Skip to main content

I'm a Hungry Monster

Gaining weight? Losing Weight? Who doesn't struggle with weight some way or another? Well a big part of Cystic Fibrosis is a struggle with nutrition and weight. I have always struggled to gain weight, I was 45 lbs in 7th grade, and only in the last 5 months has my doctor/care team started feeling satisfied with my weight. whew, only took me 32 years!

Slowly over the last year I have been gaining 1-2 lbs between clinic appointments. At my last appointment (just in July) my weight was 110 lbs. Which is pretty much the highest it has ever been. In 2012, I hit 109 briefly. (see side-by side picture)  However, the goal is now around 115-120 (to have a few pounds extra for when I get sick). Doc K suggested I started taking a med to increase my appetite (non-steriod). I agreed, I usually always agree to what my doctors suggest. Doc said he hoped I reach my goal by my next appointment in September. However, after only 1 week on the med I had gained 6.5 pounds (116.5).  He cut my dose down (to half dose). I'm currently not taking it for a week (do to it conflicting with an allergy test I have coming up next week). Even half dose I was still hungry all the time. But full dose was horrible.

Normally, I'm cranky only when I get really hungry. Anyone seen those funny memes? The "I'm hungry vs. after I eat" memes? Yes, that is me. Anyone who knows me will agree. Well, since starting this new med in July I have been super cranky. I'm always hungry, always miserable. I am always starving, feels like I'm starving to death. The weight gain was fast. Adding well 5% of your total body weight in a week. It made me lethargic and lazy that whole week.

So now it's beginning of August and I am trying to work on being more active & gaining muscle.  Now that I have reached the goal weight range, I need to focus on getting more endurance walking and muscle mass. I am starting small, walking more during the week. I'm adding little workouts in the mornings a few days a week.

I try to remind myself how far I have come. Managing to get rid of my stomach tube after needing if for 17+ years. I had my stomach tube put in during  7th  grade, when I only weighed 45 lbs. and within 2 years I doubled my weight. The picture to the right is me freshmen year in high school (weighing about 95-100). After college,  my stomach tube was having a lot of infections/leaking issues. It hurt and was raw and bleeding a lot. Up til the last 2-3 years was fine though (so I really do advocate people consider getting them if they are needed). But it was rough towards the end. I had to prove to myself and doctors I didn't need it. I started calories counting in 2012 and with Andrew's support & help I had it removed in 2014. Removing it had some complications. I had developed a fistula, where my stomach had adhered to my skin.  So needless to say, I'm so glad that part it over! I'm proud of what I have accomplished. I hope to be able to keep this weight up & gain muscle/become a stronger.

It's hard to find all the time I need in the day to work out. Wake up, 2-3 hours of med treatments, pills, high fat/calorie breakfast, work, 2 more hours of meds, dinner, etc..I tend to sleep 8-10 hours per night and need every bit. But I will keep at it. I know I need to make it priority, just like my meds. I have stumbled a bit this week, because I'm coughing more and it feels like starting to get sick again. So we will see what happens. But, I want to remain focused on my weight and workout plans. Hopefully, in September my weight will still be up & I am even healthier. I have tried working out in the past, but it never lasts more than a few weeks. Any suggestions, tips, better workouts?

What workout videos/ YouTube channels, or protein drinks do you like? Feel free to pass on advice & words of encouragement :-) -this is my biggest challenge (weight/Muscle gain/exercise). Thanks!!!

We will keep everyone updated on my Allergy tests & dexascan too! Follow our FB page to read more updates!

Comments

  1. By any chance was your appetite stimulant also a antihistamine? Just got out of the hospital a few days ago from my tune up and a collapsed lung. My appetite hasn't been that great the past year and was curious what other cfers use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Breeann,
    Yes it was! Which is why I have to go off it for my allergist appointment. It has been working and I'm hoping to put off a tune up for a while. Hope you are feeling better since you got out of the hospital! Talk to your doctor, he may have a suggestion like mine did! :-) Take Care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u