Skip to main content

A Hospital at Home

Coming home from the hospital takes a balance..... Wait.... Did I just say home from the hospital??? That's right!  I get to leave Wednesday the 18th, after 8 days in the hospital. It was a logistical thing. I have a super important court date on for "Shoes (our AMAZING foster son) soon." So Doc knew before he admitted me that I would be leaving by that day... So what does this mean for me and my health???

Well, I need to make sure I continue the same treatment schedule I would in the hospital. So 4 sets of nebs a day. 8am, noon, 4pm, 8pm. Which means I finish my course of IVs at home. I will be on IV's at least until 27th (so 1.5 weeks left). I came into the hospital on Tuesday the 10th, but we didn't realize until Friday the 13th that my Psuedomonas is resistant to all of the antibiotic options for IVs except one med. So on the 13th we switched to Avycaz, which is a newer, hard hitting antibiotic that was brought to market less than 3 years ago. We were hoping I'd have a few more years before I really started running out of options for meds, but it is what it is.

Since this is the first time I have ever had Avycaz, I'm hopeful that it and the Symdeko (that I started on the 10th) will continue to both work hard to boost my numbers; I'm hoping to bump my health up enough that I can remain stable and avoid IV's for at least 9 months after this tune-up. The longer I go in between IVs and fewer times I use this antibiotics the better. Running out of options and becoming resistant to the meds makes life a lot tougher.

This is why I need to find the perfect balance of work, family, and CF. Which can be difficult. It means making time for working out, making sure meds and eating are a priority. I need to make sure I stick to my routine and don't overdo it. I'm thankful I can do a lot of my Real Estate work from home.  Having enough time in the day for everything on a typical day is hard. But when you add Home IVs in... It can be nearly impossible.  My schedule becomes a little more crazy. Administering IVs 4 x a day and adding two more rounds of nebulizers/ airway clearance. Plus, remembering to eat and take all my pills. Not to mention working, taking care of my kiddo, running the house and doing errands.  BUT, thanks to my support system and my handy dandy phone calendar... I will survive.

But the good news is that we did check my current lung function and weight today. I was 39% lung function and 104 lbs on the 10th (when I was admitted). Today I weigh 106 and had 50% lung function  ----> That's right!!! 50% FEV1. I haven't seen the 50s in a long time and I finally feel positive in that I can reach 60%. I'm unsure if this is thanks to the 7 days of Symdeko that I have taken, or if 5 days worth of Avycaz has really boosted me. Perhaps it is a mixture of both, but either way I can't wait to see what this combo can do for me over the next 1.5 weeks that I'm doing IVs at home! I am going to focus and work super hard to get the healthiest I can. I have been struggling in the 30s and 40s for a 1.5 years and I'm beyond happy to break through those numbers. I honestly, was starting to believe the low 40s was my new baseline. It feels unbelievable to gain back lung function, after it had starting feeling hopeless. It was the exact boost I needed to motivate me again! It feels great to know Orkambi didn't kill my numbers for good, I just have rough road ahead of hard work.

My IV's will end on the 27th and I hope all my work will show at my next clinic in May!  I will let you all know how that appointment goes... and I will post some updates of "Life with Home IVs" on my FB page.

Comments

  1. Glad to hear you are out of hospital and that meds are working. Hope they continue to work well and there are no complications or anything. Praying that all goes well with court date. Remember to keep everything in perspective. And just take everything as it comes one day at a time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Doug, I appreciate that and you are so right!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line