Skip to main content

My First Blog!

Hey everyone! So I am boldly going where I have not gone before…into the realm of blogging. Now to start off I will say that I am not a writer, so over the course of the next, well rest of my life, bear with me as I share my perspective on our life. To start off I am going to let you all know a little bit about myself, as if my lovely wife hasn't shared that information in the past! I am married to the lovely Cheriz, I am a graduate from the culinary arts program from Joliet Junior College, I love to cook, bake, be outdoors, movies, baseball (Go White Sox!), and I love my job!

Recently I transitioned from working at Hy-Vee as the Assistant Meat Manager, a job which I really did enjoy but did not allow me to spend the kind of time I wanted with Cheriz. Also looking into the future and the discussion of fostering kids, it was not the right fit for me and our family. The transition lead me to becoming the General Manager of Culver's, which if you do not know, is a casual dinning restaurant which focuses on great food (Our Butterburgers are the bomb!) and great customer service. I had worked for Culver's many times in the past, helping open new stores, managing, and bouncing from store to store (7 stores in total!). When the owner came to me and asked if becoming GM was something I was interested in, I jumped at it right away. I would only have to work one job, I would write my own schedule, I would receive certain incentives, and our insurance would stay close to the same (which wasn't exactly true, but we are working on that front)...why not take that position?

I absolutely love my boss. He is nice, knowledgeable, down to Earth, and gets our unique situation. Having a wife with Cystic Fibrosis, we have to think differently about situations. We had to do our research on our insurance to make sure that her meds were covered, check how many vacation days I would have, and if i had any personal days to make sure that if Cheriz was ever in the hospital I would be able to take off time to be with her, or watch the kids. My boss at Culver's understands all of that. He sat me down and told me that he was going to check with our insurance rep, to make sure it was even feasible to make a permanent transition. He explained that I can work longer days if I needed to take off for a certain reason. He also said that I can take as long as i needed if Cheriz was to be admitted into the hospital! It just shows what a great guy he is, and how he really cares about his employees, which is what drew me to the change!

I have now been here in this position for a month and a half, and love every minute of it. I love the job itself, the people, but most importantly, I spend just about every night with Cheriz. I have the time to work on projects around the house, to read (haven't read a book in about 3 years), binge watch criminal minds, golf, and just be a couple. Working two jobs was necessary in order to achieve what we wanted. We wanted to get our forever home closer to what we wanted and we wanted to save money and have some more breathing room so we are ready to accept children into our home. With that being said, it was hard to work 16 hour days and only see Cheriz to say "Good Morning" when I woke up and "Good night" when I came home before bed.

NOW, we spend more time together, and I can see more of the happiness from both of us. Since switching, we have done quite a bit of work on our house, have gone on a short vacation to St. Louis (See last blog post about our great time!) We have eaten dinner just about every night with each other! I has been an awesome change, and I am very much looking forward to the future with my career and also with the start of our family (fingers crossed that it starts sooner than later!).

 

Comments

  1. Brenda L BarnickelJuly 27, 2017 at 12:47 AM

    So happy for this awesome change in your life and so look forward to following your journey. Always knew you had such a giving heart! God's plan us unfolding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brenda! We are excited about all the wonderful changes! Can't wait to see what else is in store for us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Updates!

 Hey everyone! Sorry it’s been a while. Covid struggles have been all around and we have been focusing our on our kiddo and current life situations (jobs, home, everything really). We have been posting regularly on the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/CherizCFPage). We will keep you updated on there for now,  because we are doing some big changes to our current blog! Stay tuned!  In meantime, message our FB page if you need anything. Keep safe and stay happy.  We will be back. Promise!