Skip to main content

Hello June: Chaos & Happiness

It is June already.... Wow, has time been flying by! May was Cystic Fibrosis Month and I spent a lot of the month preparing for the Princeton Cystic Fibrosis Walk (June 10th). If you want to join us or donate, just click here!



 I also attended the Bloomington Great Strides Walk in May! Andrew (my husband) was the guest speaker  (watch video at link) at the walk. I'm so proud of him, he has really stepped up in the last year and has been getting a lot more involved with the CF Foundation!

In the last month I have gotten even more involved as well. I decided to join the CF Foundation Champions committee. We discuss ways to improve daily care and improvements that will help the CF population today. I was also invited to apply for a position on the 2017-2019 (2 year term)  CF Foundation's National CF Adult Advisory Council. The council is made up of 12 individuals that are selected across the United States that are leaders in the CF community. The AAC is responsible for offering a voice for those in the community, providing insight on current information, helping to run/maintain online CF webinars (like BreatheCon), and reviewing the CF impact grants, etc.

I have been very involved in the local CF Community by serving as a volunteer coordinator of most of the Peoria Chapter's events (4 walks, 1 golf outing, 1 gala, etc). The Suzanna Lee Golf Outing is THIS monday (5 days before the Princeton Walk), so it will be a very busy week for the Peoria CF Chapter! I started becoming more involved nationally through my blogging. I have guest-blogged for the National CF Foundation's website 3 times so far...this led me to other national avenues & roles.

I really do think my CF Volunteering comes before all my other volunteer work (and even my job, but not clients I currently have). And of course, my family comes before anything else. I focus on clients, but between clients I do not advertise and take mini-breaks from work to focus on health & CF volunteering.

The last month has been busy, but I have enjoyed every bit! I have added those 2 new CF Foundation roles, co-hosted/coordinated a Peoria Women's Council of Realtors event (I'm on the WCR board),  finished fostercare classes, started a new clinical trial,  AND have a done major renovations to our home (pictures coming soon)!

 I'm sorry dear family & friends I have been distance and haven't had much time for anything lately. BUT I finally feel everything is falling into place. My Real Estate work has picked up a lot since it is beginning of summer, I getting a decent schedule in place, and I cannot wait to finalize the FosterCare paperwork! 2 more inspections and then we will be ready to accept children.

Thank you everyone who has supported us in our decision to grow as a family AND everyone who has helped make the Princeton Walk happen!!! I can't wait to see what the month of JUNE brings us!!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u