Skip to main content

Back from Vacation

We spend 5 wonderful days on vacation in Florida and come home to SNOW!

It barely snowed all winter and today it decided to play a little catch up I guess. Well, we enjoyed our few days in the sun! The weather was perfect! (picture: you can see Andrew out swimming in distance)

 I love taking trips & vacations, but having CF always makes it a little difficult. We make sure to pack all my meds in my carry on. I have a small portable nebulizer machine that fits in small spaces. We always call ahead to get permission to carry my vest on at no additional charge. We put all of clothes and my Wabi sterilizer in the big bag, which we check. We just make sure the Wabi is safely packed. They always pull my bags to look at them & check them, we make sure to have a letter from CF clinic too!

As a kid I had feeding tube connectors & feeding to bring on trips. Which adds up weight wise. So flying was tougher. We typically always traveled by car when I was growing up. We even did a driving vacation to Disney for two weeks, stopping at other places on the way home.  My first flight was in 2008 (I think). I have only flown 5 (round trip) times (counting this trip). Two of those have been with my uncles. I LOVE vacationing with my uncles. I feel comfortable around them. I could puke or pee all over and would not be the least bit embarrassed. And with coughing fits, believe me, that can happen :-)

My family is very close, which helps. I honestly think of my uncles as 2 of my best friends. It's nice to vacation with family that just understands everything. When I get tired they notice. Uncle Brian slows down and walks with me or suggests we get snacks. It was a great vacation, and while we packed quite a bit in, I wasn't tired when I woke up the next day.

We did  a murder mystery dinner train ride, spent time on the beach, attended a big Artfest, and took an airboat ride through the Everglades. We saw a dolphin, manitees, pelicans, crocodiles, and more! We even got hold a 2,5 year old gator!


We did a lot, but we always take time to find amazing places to eat! Every single meal was fabulous.  We are all about the food in the house. We plan trips around food sometimes (hence our honeymoon spot). Andrew and I both LOVE seafood, so we made sure to take advantage of that while we were in Florida. We ate A LOT of FRESH seafood. Which is my favorite thing to eat. Calamari, Stone Crab Claws, Paella, Crab, Grouper, and more! YUM! I gained 5 lbs. over vacation. WOW! I mean I'm not really surprised. I ate a ton. The weird part was once we came home I was still always starving. I ate all day the last few days.


I'm starting to wonder if it is side effect from Orkambi. I mean my last appointment showed my lungs slowly climbing back up to my normal function range. I was around 50% and I hope to reach 60%. I know weight & lung function are correlated. I was 105 when we left for vacation. But the scale in the vacation home put me at 110. I don't have a scale in my home currently. I decided not replace my old one. I worry to much over it. So I will find out at clinic on the 28th how I am improving.

Wouldn't it be nice to get a prescription for vacation??? I mean it did bump up my weight big time (and maybe lungs too) :-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Updates!

 Hey everyone! Sorry it’s been a while. Covid struggles have been all around and we have been focusing our on our kiddo and current life situations (jobs, home, everything really). We have been posting regularly on the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/CherizCFPage). We will keep you updated on there for now,  because we are doing some big changes to our current blog! Stay tuned!  In meantime, message our FB page if you need anything. Keep safe and stay happy.  We will be back. Promise! 

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment