Skip to main content

1st Step Towards Becoming Parents

I have blogged a little in the past about Andrew & I's challenges with starting a family. Our first step was to buy a home. Which we did in June!

If you haven't read the Guestblog I wrote for the CF Foundation, it will give you the background to our decision making & how we plan to become a family. Read it right here at the CF Website! It will help you understand all our reasoning..

I started by talking to the social worker at my CF Clinic. She directed me to compass. To be honest there wasn't much else to do. So we eagerly called compass and found out there are a few grants that help with adoption costs, but not much support for surrogacy and foster care.

The Compass (CF Foundation Help Site) did give us the name of place that does genetic testing that they said was fairly inexpensive. When we called the place they said they can't tell us the cost or about the tests, until we had a script from a doctor.  I called a few GPs to get Andrew an appointment. Most were booked solid for months. Plus, we would have to pay out of our pocket for the doctor visit for the script & pay for the screening (since he hasn't met his deductible at all) and insurance doesn't cover genetic testing (unless it is for Andrew's health & not for family planning). Which could be more than $1000 just for doctor visit & test, etc. If Andrew was a carrier then Surrogacy would not an option anymore for us. That is a decision we decided a long time ago. Again, this is my personal opinion & I do not judge other's decisions.

We don't really care if our children are genetically related to us, that is not important to us.

We are not quite giving up on adoption yet, but we aren't counting on it as our best option. We don't want to wait two or three years to become parents... Plus, it is very expensive even with the grants. My best estimation so far is $20,000 to 30,000 per kid. It's more about timeline for us. I have been ready to be a parent for at least 7 years. Andrew talked about our timeline with me before we were engaged. We both knew we didn't want to wait long to become a family. Kids that come from straight adoptions versus Foster care are no different in our eyes, why not be foster parents! we always knew we would be foster parents at some point, both of us think it is very important. I'm very excited about this new chapter!

I believe each child we have in our home will impact us & enrich our lives that much more. At the same time we can share our home, stability, and love with them & hopefully have a positive impact on their lives. The outcome & goal is to hopefully help them reunite with their family, but if they do become available for adoption, we will have no objection to adopting the children in our home.

Andrew surprised me, I knew he wanted kids. But a few weeks ago, Andrew called all the foster care /adoption agencies in Peoria and started making appointments with them. I was so excited when he told me that I ran around organizing. I moved my meds & all the household cleaners into a closet that can lock and bought outlet protectors, along with a second fire alarm (for the basement). Yes, I know it will be months til we finish our training and accept a child. It didn't matter, I needed something I could do NOW to feel like I'm not jut sitting around waiting. I needed to feel like I was actively trying to become a parent.

 I was so happy that I started crying!

Our first meeting with the social worker was Monday! We have a couple packets of paperwork to fill out, fingerprinting to get done, but that is easy enough! That hard part is waiting. Our foster classes are on Monday nights (April 3rd though June). After that we will be licensed and ready to accept kids! We are being licensed for up to 4 kids (2 per bedroom).  We had no preferences, except our house isn't handicap accessible, so that would be impossible for me. Also, I obviously can not foster any child that has a medical condition that lowers their immune system (as we both would be sick all the time). But otherwise, we are open to any kid! She actually said she had quite of few siblings groups up to 4 kids they want to keep together & that are hard to place, because most people only take 1 or 2 kids.

I'm not sure how it will be adjusting if we accept a full house right away, but I'm not sure I'd turn down a family of kids that need a home. So we will take everything a day at a time and see how it goes... for now we are trying to remodel the house a bit to prepare for when we are done with classes!

I'm hoping to purchase bunk beds, dressers, towels, toiletries, small wheeled-bags or duffel bags, bedding and more in the next couple months too! I think that will keep me busy enough :-)

Waiting seems forever....

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line