Skip to main content

Health and 5K

Getting my Health Back:

I was at my healthiest in 2012. I was walking every day and jogging some parts of that. I was in a musical where we had dance rehearsal at least 2x a week. And I did a 5K where I pushed the hardest I could, finishing in 42 minutes. Well, I did another 5k last Saturday (on my mom’s birthday) and power walked the entire thing finishing in 53 minutes. 

( Picture to right: Ada & I at the 5K)

I knew I couldn’t jog, since my hips now like to pop out of place and it is too hard on my joints. My arthritis has gotten a lot worse in the last four years. While I know I will never will get back to level of health I had in 2012 (due to normal progression of my disease), I think looking at how I achieved that level, will help me to reach the best health I can today. I had a steady hourly job that allowed me to schedule out my day. Routine is what has always worked best for me, which is why I struggled in college and with jobs where hours changed a lot. In 2012, not only did I have the time to walk every single day, but also the motivations. I also started out slowly and gradually added more distance with time.
I had someone who walked with me 2-3 x a week. Those were my walking days, I’d usually push myself to jog walk 2-3 nights. So I’d be active walking or jogging typically 4-5 nights a week. They weren’t long periods of time or very long routes, just a 1 mile or so at first. I started this in late February and by July was jog/walking 2 miles at least 2 x week. Then I built up to do the 5K in September. 

Having someone walk with me 2x a week really helped keep me on track. My 2nd major motivation was my health in general. My lung function was around 56-58%. Whereas, now I struggle to hit 50% at clinic. I’ve lost 10% lung function in the last 3 years. I’m hoping being more active (with the help of “hopefully” Orkambi) will help me increase my lung function again. In 2012, I actually hit 64% at one clinic. While I think 64% is a pipe dream, I’m trying to 58% again. Which will be hard, but I WILL do it! My 3rd motivation was Laura. My best friend Laura (who passed in 2014 and also had CF) was being evaluated for a lung transplant in 2012. We were hopeful and she’d tell me how hard it was and that I needed to push to stay healthy. She was honest and open. She wanted me to succeed more than anything. I was also motivating her to keep her health stable until she could get her new lungs. [Note: Laura was denied transplant listing and therefore, had to try to make do with her 18% lung function]. Her living 2.5 years with 18% lung function was amazing, especially considering all her secondary problems, like diabetes, gastroparesis, etc. She was one tough lady.

While Laura isn’t here anymore to cheer me on, I can still hear all the words of wisdom and motivation she gave me. I have a playlist I put together that reminds me of her and my future for while I go out walking.  My new motivation is my future with Andrew, in our home, hopefully with a family. The biggest motivation is wanting to be a mom (via surrogacy/ foster/adoption) and to have the ability to run and play with them. I want to be able to pick up my child and carry them if they are scared or hurt. I don’t want to drag an oxygen tank with me to their games or recitals. I want to be healthy for them. I want to live to see them grow up.
I can not jog anymore due to arthritis, but I can power walk. So I’m going to keep walking and try to do another 5k for a good cause later in the year! I loved that the one I did last week. It was for ALS research. I have a friend, Sean, who has ALS. It is a truly horrible disease and I seeing him continue to fight it, is some powerful motivation right there. Perhaps I will powerwalk the CF Walk in October!

Anyway, fighting for my health and trying to get to a point where I feel healthy and not sick is where I am right now. I will continue to update you as I go along. Also, if anyone has a Fitbit add me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u