Skip to main content

Not Again!

Weekend Luck:

Doctor's offices are open Monday through Friday. Yet I always start feeling sick on Fridays. Luckily, I don't get "sick" too often. Which is pretty lucky considering my pathetic immune system. My immune system can't fight anything and even a simple cold could become more serious and life threatening.

For example:  I had to break down and call Doc's after office hours (this morning) to figure out what to do, thanks to a simple cold sore, AGAIN!

Yep, you heard me right. Again, thanks to a cold sore. Not sure if you remember in 2013. In 2013:  I had a cold sore that turned my  mouth and lips full of cankers, sore, and lesions. My jaw/mouth was so swollen that I couldn;t talk (which is really funny if you know me, since I gab all the time) or barely swallow liquid. My throat and tongue covered in bacteria and fungi (my tongue was covered in pure white - it was thrush). My fever reached 104 and my pulsox dropped into 80s, Andrew took me to ER, I was transported to Chicago & in the hospital for over a week, fighting this silly virus that turned ugly. 

 (picture: That's not lipgloss or the lighting, that's the fungi)

The doctor said it was the cold sore virus (also know as Herpes simplex 1), which I thought was amusing, but it's the simple virus a body has when someone gets a cold sore. It stays dormant in your body, until you get another cold sore. Which is why some people are more prone to them. I had never had them until 2013. Which is why docs think it happened so fast and got so serious. Honestly, being rushed from my hometown to Chicago via ambulance, didn't bother me. But, they had to make sure my throat didn't close and kept checking it. The thought of having to quickly trach my throat terrified me. But whew, I started to slowly get better and once my sinus infection and virus were gone, I could eat solids. One I had no fever, I got to go home!!!

Most people, put medicine on the cold sore and it eventually goes away. For example: Abbreva. Their bodies can fight simple viruses and colds. Apparently, mine cannot. I took me a total of 2 days last time to progress to that point, which is why I'm being super carfeful to keep an eye on it this time! 

This weekend it isn't nearly as bad. I knew what it was and did everything I could. I had a cold sore off and on for the week, then thursday night my lips got swollen and I noticed I had 3 cold sores on one lip. (I look super gross right now). Then Friday, I woke up with a stuffy nose (plus the 3 sores), but felt fine. I did some shopping/errands. An hour after getting home. BAM! 100 fever, and noticed canker sores on my cheek and tongue. I couldn't sleep Friday night. My fitibit says I slept an hour. Satruday, I woke up feeling like I had a head full of crap (yay, sinus infection too!) - I got a sinus infection last time, so I figured it was coming.

However, I have kept my fever below 100 and it goes away with motrin/tylenol. I'm drinking and resting. I got the pleasure of watching 10 hours of Law and Order (on that beautiful 60 degree weather day). But Andrew was a work and I was told to rest and text him updates.. So I did. 

Today, my cold sores are bigger, and my breathing is a little harder, but it isn't really affecting my lungs or pulsox too much. My throat and tongue don't have any bacteria or fungi, they are clear, and I can still eat! So, Doc and I are still hoping I can beat this without hospitalization. I called this morning and they are writing me a prescription for acyclovir, which I went home on last time. I'm to watch the sinus infection, if it get's worse, i  may need antibiotics, but I'm allergic to all the ones you can get orally (and we don't want to need to do IVs). So keep your fingers crossed that the Acyclovir get this virus under control!!!!

Isn't it crazy to think, one silly lil cold sore could do so much harm in my body! Doc said this could happen every single time I get a cold sore. Which is just annoying. But at least it's not as serious this time around. Hoping to feel well enough to keep my appointment Tuesday. I'm supposed to meet with my eye surgeon and talk about my eye surgery. (I will save that for another post)...

I will keep you all updated on my CF Facebook page! Sometimes I feel like an operation board game! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers