Skip to main content

6 Months of Marriage

Our Story :


Andrew and I met in a show choir. I graduated from the University of Illinois in 2010 and decided to return to the local community college to take a few courses, before jumping into graduate school. I wanted to be a social worker at a medical facility, and also have my real estate license. Andrew had graduated with his culinary degree, but decided working in a restaurant wasn't exactly what he wanted. So he decided to return to the community college and find a new path...

(picture on right, from November 2012, school field trip with friends- Conklin's Barn Dinner Theatre.)

We met in August of 2012, that fall, at the 1st show choir practice. He was really sweet and nice, but I wasn't really looking to date anyone. I had been engaged in the past (2009), then followed that relationship up with 2 bad relationships. But Andrew had different plans for me.

He was sweet and asked about my CF. In fact, he had told me he was following my blog. So I knew he understood about my CF and life. When he asked me to be his girlfriend. I think I said something like "I'd love to, but I always struggle healthwise trying to balance my life and having a boyfriend" He promised we would make it work.

I think because of my CF, we faced a lot of hardships a lot quicker than most. In the two years we dated before we got engaged we had faced: 4 surgeries, 4 rounds in the hospital on IVs (one where Docs were honestly concerned about my life), a family member passing away, my best fiend passing away (along with 2 other friends), moving 2 times, 2 big insurance battles, and countless oral antibiotics.


(Picture to left: Before my triple hernia surgery)

When one person has CF or any life threatening disease, the other individual has to think about how that will affect them. Some can not handle it, but Andrew always admired me for the way I handle CF (and loved me more for my strength). He saw me so sick, unable to speak, I passed out infront of him, I threw up on him. Not only that, but I was struggling emotionally, as I watched my best friend try so hard to get new lungs, but she only got sicker as time went on. I watched her struggle for 2 years and Andrew was right by my side, hugging me. Before we got too serious, I had to have "The Talk" with him. As I did with every boyfriend. He had to be aware that I was unable to have children and that because CF is expensive, we could probably never afford to do surrogacy or even adopt. He said it didn't matter to him. We discussed early on about my CF and "life expectancy." We talked about some intense topics, marriage, children, death, hospitals, being a single parent, etc. I didn't want to fall in love with him and him not be able to handle CF and him leave me. Or worse I leave him because I knew he couldn't handle it. Both had happened in the past and I couldn't go through it again. So we were forced to talk about big topics very early on, this just made our relationship grow stronger and move faster.

We my not have had time to get to date, not in the normal sense. We hardly ever went out to eat or to the movies in the 1st year. I had two part time jobs and had a full course load at school. Plus, he had a part time job, full time student, and we both did extra circulars. But, we found time whenever we could and spent as much time together as possible. Between classes, before or after practice, before school, etc. In between activities, he would come to my apartment, or I would go to his place... I would usually do my medical treatments and we would watch a tv show, or just hang out. This is what our dating pretty much consisted of until we moved to Chicago together (9 months into the relationship). From that point on, we both knew we would get married. It was just a matter of timing. When we could afford it and when it would be best for us.

The first year of dating went by fast, and each year tends to feel even faster, so we try to enjoy every single moment! These last 6 months have flown by (to read about our wedding, click here), but I am so fortunate to have such an amazing husband! I can't wait to see what the next 6 months have in store for us!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers