Skip to main content

Update on my Lungs

Hit a Snag:

Well, unfortunately we cancelled my doc's appointment for today. So I do not have an update on my lung function for you. I know, sounds crazy to cancel right? Actually, it was the smart thing to do. Considering our plan was for me to take prednisone for 6-7 days and do a Collistin Nebulizer treatment 3 x a day didn't work out too well. I got the prednisone filled right away, I had the pharmacy and Doc office receive and set up my new nebulizer on Monday/ Tuesday. However, the insurance needed a prior authorization and  they have a standard 15 days to decide if I get the new nebulizer. Since I'm already taking Cayston this month (another antibiotic nebulizer) they will prolly (yes, I always say & type prolly) deny it and we will have to fight it, etc.

This is why it's hard to get lung function back after being sick. It can take so long to get the meds and treatments that we have twice as much work once we do, and sometimes its already permanently damaged our lungs.

For example: I know I have blebs and scar tissue damage in my lungs. I've lost around 40% of lung function (permanently). I'd like to try to keep my lung function as close to 60% as possible. So needless to say, when I saw the 36% at my last clinic I freaked out a bit.  Since I can't get my new nebulizer (for who knows how long)... I'm not feeling like I'm in the best place healthwise, BUT since starting the prednisone it has helped with my energy and food intake, which in turn helps me work out, keep up energy, sleep better, etc. So my lungs breathing isn't much better, but overall I think my numbers may have still gone up a few points already from everything else. Which is why we decided to hold off on the appointment. I'm not worse, don't feel I quite need IVs yet, and feel a teeny tiny bit better. So we want to see if I can get Collistin next week and have a follow up a few days after that...

I'm HOPING my insurance (which I have LOVED so far)... (See this past post here on facebook) doesn't let me down this time:



Yay, Whoohoo! Look what arrived today! I love Andrew's Insurance/Company! RANT WORTH READING: I went 9 months without...
Posted by Cheriz: My Life with Cystic Fibrosis on Friday, October 30, 2015



 Yes, I proclaimed my love for them....please don't let me down now! But, we will see... I will keep everyone updated. I'm supposed to call Monday and keep checking the status.

I've kept all my clinic results in an excel sheet since 2010, so I can see how I progress over time. As you can see I like to keep it between 55-60%. The big dip in January 2015, was that month I was in the hospital, did IVs for 3 weeks, followed by extra nebs for another month.

Since last friday's appointment I have : tried to walk more (cardio type) reaching average 3,500 steps a day, doing 3 vest treatments, with all 9 nebulizers. While eating at least 3,000 calories per day (trying for 4,000) and calorie counting in & out via Fitbit. Which may be helping me keep weight on too...

So hopefully these steps I am taking will help me beat this current state of lung function and I can once again rise and say "welcome to the 60s"! (shoutout to my "Hairspray castmates/friends")


 I hope everyone had a great New Years & I will keep you all updated on my CF Faceook page too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line