Skip to main content

Feeling like a 90 year old


My Body is Older than My Age:

I may be only turning 30 years old on Monday, but I certainly feel like I'm turning 90 instead. Why? well, lots of components affect how my body feels. Whether I'm fighting a little infection (which is quite often) to when I'm run down, and especially when my CF-related arthritis is flaring up.

Which it has lately. I have better days, then I have bad arthritis days. Luckily, it wasn't too bad on Monday. Mom, Ada (my sister), and I went shopping in Schaumburg. We had scheduled this planning trip at Christmas, it was a day to treat Mom w/ lunch & shopping with her girls.

 We took her to Pilot Pete's Restaurant. It's got a aviator  feel, since its in a private airport. The back wall at the restaurant is full of large windows, so you can watch 2 person planes take off and land while your eating. We saw a couple take off and land. Plus, the food was delicious & large portions. YUM!

In the lobby area: they had these fun airplane chairs & a large window that looked down into a hanger where they work on the planes. 





After lunch, we walked the Woodfield Mall (but then my joints were killing me), so we had a break at a Starbucks. We also did Crate & Barrel, and finished up our evening at a Whole Foods to grab some treats on the way home! I think all the walking kicked my arthritis into full gear, but so worth it.

However, this arthritis flare isn't as intense as usual, but has been coming and going for over 2 weeks now! I'm so confused.

It's weird, it is slower and more drug out this time. Usually overnight, my joints freeze up, I wake up sore and with hive like spots all over my legs (sometimes back and arms). But these last two weeks is only the stiffness and soreness happens. I get the low grade fevers still and the weird rash (which I've get sometimes, instead of hives). But I'm also getting bruises this time and my muscles all hurt. My leg muscles have been sore for 2 weeks now. It feels like I over-jogged. Except, uh I haven't been doing my much exercising, just weight lifting.

I'm sooo tired and my body just feels like it needs to sleep for a month and catch up. There isn't much research on CF related arthritis. This has been happening since I was a child. When I was 12 years old I had the worst flare up. I was in so much pain ( I couldn't stop crying). I couldn't put any weight on any limb, legs, arms, fingers. I just laid around. Dad had to carry me everywhere. That was when my doctor said he thought it was CF related arthritis. It's hard to exactly diagnose it, since very little is known about it. So they never really did a test to prove it was CFRA, since really you have to rule out X number of other disorders first.

If you read the first part of this linked article it will help you understand exactly what it is: CF Arthritis ARTICLE.

Pics: Here is what it typically looks like when it comes and go (within a matter of a 4-5 days); these are usual flare ups from past.

Usually it's painful to move, but I can power through it sometimes and then try to rest as much as I can later.  I remember tap dancing on stage (crying) with the flare up once. The cast had help me get dressed, carry my bags, etc. Usually its not quite bad enough to be debilitating and I have a high pain tolerance  which helps me deal with it.

I remember as a kid my legs would freeze up and I would not be able to walk, one of my childhood friends, Dawn, would piggyback me around the playground (remember I was a tiny lil thing). My third grade teacher even carried me around. I'm lucky to have such great people in my life, always making sure I wasn't left out!

HOWEVER..
This time, its more of the tiredness, weakness, stiff joints and muscle soreness that is making it hard for me. Its affecting my back/ spine a lot too now.  Plus, with the fevers my usual red sun burnt cheeks are even more intense. Maybe its a little different, because I'm older. But I just need to figure out what meds will help me/

Here is what the rash and bruises popping up look like this time:


Pics from last night, just lots of bruises & weird small rash. No hive/spots this time though.



I'm not sure why I don't have the hives this time. Its really weird. I need to go back to a Rhuematologist. I went in March of 2013 and they tested me for a bunch of diseases, including a few that run in the family like Lupus and Ankylosing Spondylitis.  But I never got the results, I forgot about the blood tests & doctors office name even, because in the next couple weeks I got hospitalized for a virus. It was pretty scary passing out from lack of oxygen, running a 104 fever, and being told I may need a trach if my throat closes off with the lesions. Then after that I also had 3 hernias which required triple hernia surgery and some recovery. So I was pretty busy and didn't remember to check the results and their office never called me.

I can't remember who I went to, but hopefully I don't end up going to the same place again. I'd like to have this CFRA officially diagnosed  (or whatever it is) and get some meds to help me. No, not pain meds (I refuse to take them, regardless of my pain) - thanks to my deadly allergy to morphine, but I may need meds that hopefully help keep my arthritis from flaring up.

CFRA is one of the areas that needs more research for sure, so many CFers tell me they deal with the same problems. Yet, very little has been done to help us live with it. Which is frustrating considering when we are in pain moving, we can't exercise (lowering our lung function). Also, during these flare ups it feels like the flu, so fevers, fatigue, soreness, etc and we don't feel like eating or doing anything (more weight loss and lung function decrease).

CFRA needs more awareness for sure, it impacts our lives so much!

Thanks to everyone who rsvped to my bowling birthday party/ fundraiser! I hope I can bowl Saturday, otherwise I will be a cheerleader/spectator eating lots of yummy cake!

Follow along my journey on facebook: "Like" my journey on FB! and scroll down to read more about what else is going on in my life, besides CFRA problems :-) There is some good stuff too! lol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u