Skip to main content

Managing Work and Life

 Work and Life: A Sweet Balance:

       I'm sooo excited to say I finally am back on the schedule at work. After all my hospitalizations in October and Gastrointestinal issues in November and December, I finally starting getting everything back to "normal- non-sick life." I started to feel better around Christmas and was all set that I was going to go back the first week of January, but my lung function was still down and I had to go on another round of antibiotics ( luckily, oral and NOT IVs this time). I finally finished my antibiotics and my lung function is back in the mid 50s. I'm still not happy with where it is at, considering I was at 64% in October, but I'm going to keep working at it. However, I'm done with meds, feeling quite a lot better, and I'm so excited to go back to work. I feel very fortunate. Fortunate that :
       1.) During the last 2 months while dealing with GI issues that I didn't have to worry about working, getting lung function back, gaining weight, and my stomach problems all at the same time. Let's just say that if I'm working a 6-8 hour shift and I'm the only employee working the last 4 hours, it means no bathroom breaks, and with GI problems that was not gonna work. So thankfully, Andrew was okay with me taking time off to focus on my health and get back on track. Which did help a lot and now I'm in such a better place health wise!
       2.) Where I work they were okay with me taking time off to get better and still kept me in the loop about employee fun nights etc, even on leave they treated me like a team member.
       3.) They are willing to change my hours, so that I no longer close the store. Don't get me wrong I loved being closer, a lot of our "regulars" come in later at night and I enjoy chatting about movies to them. However, closing at 12am, means leaving at 12:30, runs end of night store/ closer errands, etc, and by the time I get home its after 1am. So night meds and sleep schedule are messed up. Which messes up morning meds, etc. Plus, I have to do an electronic journal at night for the clinical trial, so I need to be home before 11:55pm to submitt that data. Luckily, that are more than willing to change my scheduling to make it easier for me to work!

      I really have missed working for the video store. I loved working at the one Princeton and I love for this one here. I have always wanted to work for a video store. I'm a huge movie buff, but I never thought it would be a long term job. Just a year or two to pay my way through Grad School. However, I love it so much I could see myself staying here (at least part time, while doing my real estate) for quite a few years.
      I mean there are quite a few perks, besides the simple fact I enjoy it. I love competing for the high est sales and commission rates (which I was in top % every week). Being in the top = free unlimited rentals. So of course that is amazing, it saves Andrew and I quite a bit of money (on our movie hobby). It does involve a lot of running around (cleaning, putting stuff away, etc). I mean at the store in Chicago we have people line up on Tuesday morning for the new releases. And we can have over 100 movies returned per hour. So the dropbox is non-stop. It is a non-stop work pace and I don't get breaks, but at least there are no heavy lifting.
      As a server I had to carry heavy trays constantly. Which caused my hernia to get so bad I had to have surgery to fix them this summer. My asthma (type) attacks have gotten worse in the last few years, so carrying stuff for me has gotten really tough. I have lots of energy and can run around doing all the tasks the store asks of me, but it doesn't jeopardize my health at all. So thankful I found this job. After being a Dishwasher (age 16), Babysitter (age 14-present), Nanny (age 24-26), DayCare Teacher, AfterSchool Teacher, Part Time paid Actor (at U of  I), Website Designer & Administrator, Server, Host, Cashier at Dept. Store, now I'm working in a movie store! When I was serving at 2 restaurants and working part time at the video store it was way too much. I loved making the extra money, but my lung function seems to decline if I get working too much. So for now... Just back to the 1 job. I'll work at the video store and in my free time I'm still working on my health and working on real estate.  So excited! It's all about finding a job that suits you. The hours, the physical demand, the amount of energy, etc. Take it all into account. This just seems a good fit for me for now!

Now to enjoy our Cilantro Chicken Dinner and some "Monster's University" (which I bought for $5), and this is how we enjoy our Saturday nights!

Bahahaha with my next nebulizer all set up on the coffee table waiting for me when dinner is over! I seem to always have one lying around. That's what happens when I do 9 nebulizer treatments a day, exactly why finding a job that understands is sooo important!!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates!

 Hey everyone! Sorry it’s been a while. Covid struggles have been all around and we have been focusing our on our kiddo and current life situations (jobs, home, everything really). We have been posting regularly on the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/CherizCFPage). We will keep you updated on there for now,  because we are doing some big changes to our current blog! Stay tuned!  In meantime, message our FB page if you need anything. Keep safe and stay happy.  We will be back. Promise! 

End of Summer -Updates!

Wow, I can't believe it's been a year since we moved our blog to www.MoreThanDNA.org! A lot has happened in that year. My husband and I became Foster Parents to some amazing kiddos and still have one of those kiddos living with us. We have loved having "Shoes" with us and can't believe how much he has grown and learned in the year!I'm so proud of him! We have court next week, so prayers that it goes okay (and doesn't get continued again- that just drags it out longer for the kids). He is now 39 months old and starting Pre-K this month! Other big changes include: Some renovation to our home (complete Bath rehab & updated plumbing throughout), I started a new gene-targeting medication (symdeko) that is helping to keep me stable these last 3 months, and I got an AffloVest! I'm loving my new portable vest! Also, career wise...we both switched jobs! Andrew also started Seminary this summer to get a Masters Degree in Divinity. He has always wanted to be

Petechiae fading, Wow Week!

Yep, Roller Coaster Week: Overall, the week had been great. I've been having lots of positive things happening lately and I was even home last weekend for my birthday ( Read about my FABULOUS Birthday HERE) . Andrew did a lot of planning  for my birthday, I had clinical trial Thurs, which went fairly decent. Lots of good things had been happening and then bam, saw those spots. Well... Whew, thank goodness those spots faded a lot over the weekend! I was really worried about those petehciae. A lot of it had to do with the memories of my mom being really sick in the past. ( Read about why I was worried HERE)  So Saturday, Andrew and I drove to the hospital to get the blood work. Doc understood I had a wedding I really wanted to attend, so he rushed the results. So here Andrew and I were sitting in the car waiting for the call from Doc. Doc was going to tell me if I was Anemic, or if anything else concerning showed up. If so, I'd miss the wedding and have to come see doc. But