Skip to main content

Embarrassed to Dance? Can't believe it...Well here's Why:

Embarrassed to Dance:

Yes, I know, I have been in numerous shows, taken dance classes before, etc. Why on earth would I hesitate now? Well, I moved from my small hometown to the burbs. Here is how I started dancing:

When I was 3 years old I was diagnosed with Cerebral palsy, which affected my right side. Yep CF and CP!

 I walked completely on the outside of my foot, held my right arm/hand up tight in what I call now (my T-Rex pose). And I talked out of the right side of my mouth. So immediately my mother being the AWESOME mom she is, she got me enrolled in dance to help correct it and build muscle.

She put me in swimming classes to at age of 6...but realized I hate the water. Cold water makes me tighten my muscles and I can't hold my breath long anyway. So I hated the water. Still do to some extent. I can doggie paddie/attempt like swim and I can back float, but I tend to not get in the water. But dancing stuck with me! I love it. I loved performing, I loved Tutus, I loved Music, Dancing was amazing! I was always in the class below my age group though growing up, until I finally had enough muscle control in 8th grade to join my classmates in a more advanced class.

I wore the leg brace from 3 yrs to 10 years. I always picked out fun color velcro straps! However, When I would sit on my legs (like little kids do) the brace would pinch my butt! Once I was in the Walmart Grill, eating nachos with my Mom, Sister, and Grammer (Grandma), when it got stuck pinching my butt. I was started screaming. Mom had to lift me and Grandma had to unpinch it..lol 

I used to match the brace and my clothes. Shoes were a problem, because my feet were two sizes when the brace was on, so I mom told me I could have many pairs of the canvas shoes! (They were really cheap at Wal-
Mart). Mom was a genius and told me, Then I could match my shoes to my outfits everyday. I loved dressing up and loved being a "princess" so I had a ton of  different colors of canvas shoes and loved it!
 
Read about how my CP affects my shoe shopping today in this blog post here!

(Below: Dancing in University of Illinois's Musical: Urinetown! - In on the right in front)

In college, I took a jazz choreography class at the community college, but I knew the teacher and the classmates were my friends to begin with- so no problem. Then at University of Illinois I was too nervous to take a ballet, or tapp, but I did take Modern Dance and Contact Improve Mordern Dance Classes. My best friend, Dan, did those why me... And I knew most people in the class didn't have Dance experience, so again not nervous. Plus I auditioned for Little Sally, in Urinetown (made call backs for Sally, and was very happy to be cast as Soupy Sue- The show had great dancing)!  I love dancing in Musicals/ Theatre! (Below I am in Engle Lane's: Hairspray dancing my heart out!) GREAT DANCING SHOW and made tons of lifelong friends in it!

Now, though...A dance class with people who do dance, in a bigger town.. I'm intimidated. I still catch my self T-Rexing my arm. And I trip a lot, I drop stuff quite often in my right arm, and I know there is a good chance if I take a class where I live now, I won't be able to keep up. (do to both my muscles being tight and my lungs working on breathing). If I was in my hometown, nobody would judge. (read here about how my hometown hceered me on during my 5K in this post here!) Everyone knows about my CF. But somewhere else, people may just think" Man, She's not very good at dancing and really out of shape".

I think regardless I'm going to do it! I'm going to start at an adult beginners level and see how it goes. The last dancing I did, was in the show: Xandau, in May.Maybe if you know me and have seen me dance, you can judge my ability better than me. I'm not going to let my CF or CP stop me from dancing EVER! I love it too much!

I misss it and it is really good for me! Good for my lungs (giving them a nice workout) and great for my CP (working out my muscles). Excited to start dancing again!
 
(and hopefully help my lung function too)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment