Skip to main content

All the details of my 5K

My 5K


I ran my first 5K on Saturday. I finished and that was my goal. I've been jogging over the summer, but stopped in August when I was having my "mummy disease" AKA CFRA (CF-related Arthritis). Then I went on vacation, came home and I decided to start again. So I signed up for a 5K. But I didn't get around to jogging at all before the ACTUAL 5K. Which meant sunday my legs were sore..lol

Oh well, I did it, I still am in awe that I was able to finish. I had to walk the two hills (both up and down them), the hills were too much for me. But that's okay. I walked more than I had been earlier in the summer. Which means I need to get back on track. Now, my doc has me on a new med that is supposed to help more with my CFRA. I'm really hoping this new med can control it so I can continue to jog.

It took me a long time to work up to a 5K. I walked a mile in Feb every day. Then added another mile, then eventually my friend and I were walking 2.5 miles 3 times a week. In May I started adding bits of jogging here and there. Then June and July I started jogging on my own with a mile at first, then towards end of July I'd do a 3 mile jog once every two weeks and 1 mile or 2 mile jogs every other night. ( Note I can jog about 3/4 mile straight, then walk, then jog 1/2 mile, etc; I still can't straigh out jog the whole thing)



DAY OF 5K

I was excited to be doing a 5K, but also nervous to be running it in my hometown. Everyone knows me there. I was worried I start coughing a ton or I'd sound like a panting dog, I was also nervous not to have my headphones!!! My headphones keep me from hearing my breathing, which I like. I keep it more steady when I don't hear it. When I can hear my breathing I psych myself out. So at the start of the 5K I'm terrified. People know me, I have no headphones, I have some family and a friend at the end waiting for me with cameras...GOOD GRAVY! So we start and at first, I keep up pretty well, but about 3/4 miles into I start falling behind the "pack" and when you reach the 1.5 mile mark you turn around and jog past people behind you. So of course, I see up head people turning around and now facing me. They are jogging closer. And I'm like "CRAP, everyone jogging the 5K in town is going to see me struggling, I'm already out of breath, half gasping (due to the chilly morning air- which really hurt my lungs), half panting,  So I'm pretty self-conscious.

But to my Surprise, everyone who knew me (and saw me) cheered me on! My friend's Dad started the positive remarks "Keep going, you got this" and it just continued, even those out of breath would say my name and wave or give me a thumbs up! I guess, my thought process was completely wrong. I should of realized nobody would judge me, I know my hometown and friends have always been supportive when it came to anything dealing with Cystic Fibrosis. I was just afraid.

Which was silly. I was surrounded by people who know me, know I have CF, and have always been there for me.

FUTURE 5KS

I'm hoping to run the Turkey Trot in November. Depends how my lungs do with the cold air, the chilly air last Saturday really hurt, so we will see. I will continue to run outside and see if it gets better. I'm definetly looking forward to running more 5Ks! I want my lung function to continue to climb as it has been the last year!

My CF Walk to raise awareness and funds for research for CF is coming up in LESS THAN A MONTH! it is the same distance as my 5K, but we walk at a nice leisurely pace! So please come join us! If you are walking with my team PLEASE register and set your "goal" for fundraising. It can be anything, you can try to reach a large amount or set it for what you can contribute yourself. If you have ?s contact me on Twitter, FB, or email me! Walk info: WALK WEBSITE HERE!

I will keep you posted on how my exercsie affects me and my lung function too! Next Clinic is in November!







Comments

  1. Way to go Cheriz!!!! It doesn't matter the time you did the run in it just matters that you DID it!! Congrats again and keep on running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John! And yes,I plan to keep at it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh

5K. I could cry. Beyond Annoyed.

My 5K I paid my registartion fee weeks ago, have been training and I'm ready for the 5K. However, I didn't get to run my 5K today. Why? Because Cystic Fibrosis decided to one up me. I got my spots back friday, and they just got worse and worse. They look like this: They take over my feet, and sometimes my calves. I posted about this a few weeks ago. I had them during the last few performances of Hairspray. I call it the "Mummy disease" because when it happens my joints freeze up and I can't move. So the morning of my 5K I wake up and they are on my thighs...     and on my arms. This is the worst they have been in years. I took pictures to show Dr. B at my clinic on the 11th.  I'm just really bummed and upset about my weekend! I was supposed to run my first 5K!!!!! I then had a bags tournament in Peoria for the Dream Factory, and was then going to head to Champaign for Sat night- Monday! My friend Alex, reserved me a ticket for Ren

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers