Skip to main content

May Day and today's accomplishments :-)

MAY 1st! :

First of all. MAY IS NATIONAL CYSTIC FIBROSIS AWARENESS MONTH!

May 1st was bittersweet, the start of the CF Awareness month, but also a day where I always miss my Grammer (Grandma). Every May Day I would sneak up to her door and leave a May Day Basket with flowers or crackers or something. She'd hang them in the kitchen by the back door and leave the little paper cone shaped baskets hanging up for months... She loved them, even though they were horribly crafted and tacky as all get out.

Other Memories I love with my Grammer:
- I told her I liked the Cherry flavored Larabar that I tried one day.. She knew I needed to gain weight; her and Grandpa showed up with Cherry Larabars in bulk. (seriously, tons!!)


-Beanie Bear Hunting (we would drive an hour away to get in line at 5am to get exclusive bears, she owned them all)

-Bingo. We played Bingo at our Family Get Togethers.

- And last but not least... most people for their 21st birthday get drunk. I told mom I just wanted Grammer and Bud over for dinner and to play board games. Playing those board games with them on my birthday was the best decision ever. It is a memory I will never forget.

When I think about my Grammer I think of these memories not of her in the hospital. That isn't how she would want me to remember her. I will remember her wearing her dresses, fun purses, pink colored toenails and QVC Jewelry. :-)


TODAY:

Today: I got a lot accomplished! I got all of my meds covered by my new insurance, got my bills paid, and grocery shopped. What's sad is it wore me out. Not having some of my nebulizers from my insurance being weird has really set me back. I'm gonna have to work twice as hard to get back up my lung function before clinic in two weeks. Once finals are over I can do that. I can focus and get healthy again :-)


Hanging up my Character Shoes... (for now):
Sadly, I had to admit today to myself that I couldn't perform in the Improv and dance show this weekend. I know I don't have the energy to do a good job in improv and the dancing will give me a coughing fit. I hate having to "hang up my hat... or character shoes in this case" But performing takes too much time and too much out of me right now. I've been in over 30 productions and, BELIEVE ME, I'd love to keep doing shows. But I need to take a year off at least to focus on jogging and meds, plus I have work and school.
 AND
 I want to be at my healthiest, so I can perform to the best of my ability. I once did a two hour show that was almost all dancing ( SchoolHouse Rock) and I did it without coughing or feeling like I was gonna pass out. Last week's show, just performing the finale number made my legs shake and my lungs hurt. 

But I will be watching everyone perform this weekend and I know next year or the year after I will be back to full on dancing and performing again!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Clinical Trial Mess

A Clinical Trial Mess: Monday, I had an appointment for a clinical trial evaluation. Let me start out by saying, I always get  amazing care at my doctors...HOWEVER, this evaluation was done by a third party brought in to handle the research. The research nurse was a flibberty jibbet. She was nice, but kept just re-organizing her supplies, like she didn't know what to do. She seemed nervous. She mentioned she usually had another nurse with her. She took my weight, height, urine test, pre-med spirometry test (PFT-pulmonary function test) Next she decided to draw the blood, while waiting for the pft results to print. She got out the supplies and the sterile paper that she places it all on. She dropped te paper on the floor and proceeded to place the packaged needles and supplies on it.... So in my head I tell myself "Okay...( inhale control exhale my germfreak...) it's okay, it won't kill me..it only touches the bottom of my arm, not the actual place that she is dra

Laura/Lara- two amazing gals

Laura and Lara Today, was a pretty normal day. Work, Meds, Jog, Blog. Instead of jogging, we walked 2.5 miles. (which I recorded in my spreadsheet and I will be doing data analysis later using all the variables I can come up with...) But here is the more EXCITING part of my day: I was asked a week ago to be a guestblogger for  Lara's Blog . She is climbing  Mt. Kilimanjaro to raise awareness & funds for CF in memory of her best friend Emma! I hope everyone goes to her blog and wishes her good luck! She posted my introduction and guestblog today!!! So check it out  Right HERE! Lara, Thank you for your hard work and dedication to helping find a cure for CF! AND then there is Laura ( a different Laura), she is my best friend. Laura has CF too (we met when we were really young)!!! I know she has been going through a tough time. But she is the one who got me invovled in CF awareness! My first CF fundriaser was in 2008 at a CF Walk that Laura told me I should do... and I hav

Cystic Fibrosis= a lot of recycling

CF and Recycling: I never realized how much I recycled until I moved to a town where I don't receive curb-side pick up. Instead we fill up our trunks and drive it 20 mins to a neighboring town's recycling center. Also, my pharmacy is in this town, just a few blocks away.  It's meant to be.... I've always recycled a lot and have been earth friendly. I have convinced quite a few others into being "recyclers" too. Most of my college roommates and friends learned early on it was easier to break down the  boxes, rinse out the cans, and recycle, rather than here my 20 minute "soapbox" talks every time I found a recyclable product in the trash. Just ask them...lol So I've heard people discuss the fact my recycling container in the kitchen is your average 13 gallon can, whereas my trash in the kitchen is small (like a bathroom or an "under the desk" size can) is beyond weird looking. They may look funny next to each other. But th