Skip to main content

How did I breathe at U of I?

How did I breathe at U of I:

At U of I, I had a couple of really bad semesters, where I didn't do what I should.  In 2009 I had high 60s for lung function, by April of 2010 I was in the 30s.  I would hang out with friends instead of do my meds, I'd skip meals to not have to take pills in front of people.  Between my skipping meals and not doing meds, I got pretty sick. I was on and off IV meds for 3 months.  (also note: I will doing Stand Up Comedy again this Friday, which I haven't done since those months at U of I ---> yay!)

I came home (lived in my hometown) that May and got back on track. I went back to U of I for my final semester there that fall and kept on track! My roomie Stacy helped me a lot. When I think about those months where I was really underweight, low lung function, and on IVs, I know I don't want to be there again. Not that it is completely in our control, there are ways our lung function can drop that isn't related to our doing meds, etc. Getting sick, scarring in our lungs from infections, certain infections we catch, etc.

Whenever, I have a hard time breathing for an extended period of time ( a couple days or more) I always remember U of I.This last week without meds, I started off not noticing too much. Yesterday it started to really hit me. I had more asthma attacks, coughing spells, whatever you call them. Today I noticed I'm out of breath in general more.

I have been out of my meds for a week (as of tomorrow). Long story short, my prescriptions ran out, by the time I got them printed, faxed, the dr sent the orders, the pharmacy confirmed and I could re-order it was 3 days later (Friday). And now they seem to be taking forever to ship. (and I'm waiting for my new vest, my old one broke a couple weeks ago). haha, go figure. I got nothing clearing out my lungs or helping me breath right now.

This week has been a little tougher, but now I'm really starting to notice how much harder it is to breathe and how much more often I'm coughing. Then I think back to a couple semesters I had a U of I. I got really off track for a while at U of I and I can't believe I was okay with that. I'm sooo looking forward to my meds arriving! Never thought I'd say that!!

So to those of you who donated towards our CF walk, I will be restarting my 2nd week of the CF Challenge. :-) And continue (I believe we have another 1.5 weeks after that already fundraised! Also, I got our brochures in the mail!





Comments

  1. Cheriz!!!

    I do not like the sound of not having those meds or the vest. Do you have a hil rom vest?

    They have awesome customer care so I would be surprised if it would take them that long to send a new one. I have received a new one basically overnight.

    Those meds are so important to you Cheriz and WE both know that. I hope they come in very soon for you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm soo glad they finally came! As far as the vest, Hil rom is talking to my insurance first ot make sure they will pay for the new one. My old one is from the early 90s. But I can jog, etc :-)

      Delete
  2. I like the valuable info you provide to your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I’m somewhat certain I will be told many new stuff proper right here. Thanks!
    http://www.juegosfriv2017.live/football-tricks.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u