Skip to main content

Lung Transplant (don't freak out)

=
 I realized today that I have never discussed lung transplants and how that is what motivated my goals two years ago! 2 years ago in Jan. 2010 my lung function had been dropping steadily and was around 38%. I never EVER thought I would have to get a lung transplant and I never EVER wanted/want one. I always believed my behavior and work made up 70% of how well I did, my doctor & treatment was another 15% and the last 15% is luck. Luck, you don't catch the bugs that drop your lung function (basically).Luck, that I don't get sick.  I avoid being around other CFers, because my body has built up immunities to certain drugs and allergies to others and I don't want to take the risk of getting sick. I work very hard to not get sick and as far as my luck goes with CF, it's not the best, considering all the surgeries and other medical problems I have along with my CF.

The idea of a lung transplant scares me! I think that is absolutely wonderful that it can give a CFer back their life! With Cystic Fibrosis it is another chance to breathe and live! And for many Cfers it is the only chance! Doctors start discussing lung transplants when lung functions is usually lower 30s. 2 years ago when I was at 38% I was terrified, even though I acted like nothing was wrong, it really bothered me. I asked my old doc one day about transplants and he had mentioned "you aren't there yet" The word YET! That little word was so horrifying sounding.  I knew something had to change. I had to work harder, be more aggressive about my CF! I started looking for more aggressive clinic and better approaches. I had read about Transplants and survival rates in many papers. Factors that made it less likely to bounce back and survive, well, frankly, I didn't like what I saw. So here started an overhaul to my life:

 I found Doctor B 1.5 years ago. Being in the 30s for Lung function kicked me into gear! since Jan 2010 I have gone up to 61% lung function and hope to continue further at each Clinic! I do more therapies, instead of doing some or a few of them, I try everyday to fit as many as I can in (out of the 8-10 I'm supposed to do). I have become more physically active, ran my first 5K, and I work at keeping my weight up everyday!I do not want to ever need a transplant, due to my many complications with meds, surgeries, etc. BUT:

Here is what I hope people realize:
While many people who need a lung transplant, usually only need one, A CFer needs both lungs, and in some cases a liver too! We have to be low enough in lung function that we are transplant list worthy, but once we are below a certain level of lung function/limited physical function (exercise) we are then too high of risk and not good transplant candidates. We have a window of opportunity and for many CFers it is just waiting to drop to that right % and hope!

I may be gaining my lung function back, but that is not always an option. It depends on why the CFers lung function dropped. If I had permanent damage in my pathways, scaring, etc it wouldn't be able to go back up. Luckily, mine hadn't progressed that quickly and I was able to get the crap out of my lungs before it did permanent damage. I started looking into cases with CFers and lung transplants 2 years ago. And I found some interesting facts. If a CFer has Cepecia B it is nearly impossible to find a hospital willing to do the Transplant.

I wanted to find a couple Transplant Stories on youtube to share. Most of the stories are interveiws and not before and afters! However, I found 2 that incuded before and afters!  Justin's : (first video, 3 minutes) and Jaime's is below (rare: due to Cepacia B and it had lots of details, 9 minutes) I hope by sharing these two stories, everyone can see how it is different for every CFers and the obstacles CFers overcome to have a Transplant!

Justin's Story



Jaime's Story



I want to thank every single person who has chosen to be a donor! Thanks  to many donors, many CFers have been given a 2nd chance to breathe and to live again! I know as I get older, I will see more of my CF friends having Transplants, and you never know what the future may hold. I continue to hope people can receive Transplants when they are needed! And I hope that I never need one, but if I do I hope that thanks to a donor I will be given a 2nd chance to breathe!  And I have added a nifty Donate Life Button on my blog, that I got from Colleen's CF Blog! To read about her blog click here!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! :) The thought of a transplant totally freaks me out too, but I wouldn't say that I'm completely against it. I had a good friend from high school who received a transplant - you can read about his story here: http://howilivelaughlovewithcf.blogspot.com/search/label/Organ%20Donation

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! :-)I'm the same. I'm going to read about your friend's story too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u