Skip to main content

I don't have $6,000 a month, are you kidding?


In my last blog I discussed Transplants! I really hope everyone saw the stories/videos I shared about two CFer's Tranplants! I wanted to discuss something more serious, since lately I hadn't talked about anything CF too much.     Then I received this in the mail:

Nothing new, just insurance not wanting to pay for a Med!


I have been on Tobi since I was a teenage! It is highly effective with CFers who have Psuedomonas Aeruginosa (the only CF bug I have). And my doctor, and many other doctors believe it in rotation with Cayston (the newest nebulizer) can greatly help our lung function. I have been on Cayston and Tobi alternating months now, for at least 2 years. We (my doctors and I )both believe these two nebulizer treatments together are really contributing to my improved lung function (over 20% increase)! I'm up to 61% and now, because there isn't enough research supporting the two together, they won't allow it.

I love the part (where I highlighted) that says " future studies will hopefully explore the question whether the combination of them is more efficient than current treatments... But today, these studies haven't been performed yet..."

So, in other words, hopefully, one day you can prove they are helpful and will save other lives, but until you can prove they will save you, we won't pay for them, so good luck on your lung function.

Well, this isn't over! My doctor is amazing and has gotten my insurance to pay for  MANY prescriptions they have been refusing!

Dear Insurance Companies,
I'd be careful, if These "future tests" do reveal that the combo of treatment improves lung function then:
 1. By denying us them, we are probably going to get sicker, costing you hospital stays, long term oxygen, etc. 2. AND if my lung function goes down and I find out later this drug I was refused could help, oh, there will be hell to pay. (sorry, kids for the cuss word) but I mean it!

Haha, my favorite part on the back of the letter it said I was more than welcome to pay for the treatment out of pocket. Both of these drugs EACH cost $6,000 a MONTH! um, yeah sorry, I can't afford that. So insurance we will be duking it out over the next few months!

Anyway, even though this really makes me mad, I'm used to it and it is nothing new. But, it is an obstacle we deal with all the time! And it time I shared that info with all of you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line