Skip to main content

About Time: Breath of Life Gala

The Breath of Life Gala:

They are honoring Sara and Marie!!!! My nurses from Clinic! I had these two amazing women as my main nurses for over 21 years!

I shared my feelings/story for the MC to read at the Gala. I'm very happy and honored to be able to tell everyone how amazing they are and how much they mean to me and the other CFers! After the Gala (next weekend) I will tell you what I wrote and more details.

As many of you know, these two ladies did sooo much work over the years! Even while I was away at U of I, I would call them if I was sick and they would ask me questions over the phone, help me figure everything out, get ahold of the doctor, gets my prescriptions filled and sent, and check up on me! If I left a voicemail, within a few minutes they would call back. They were always willing to help and always WANTED to help!

At Clinic, I was always excited to see them and tell them everything that has happened! I always wanted to gain weight and see them smile when I stepped off the scale!

Even though I go to Dr. B now, it doesn't mean I have stopped thinking or caring about Sara and Marie. The fact is when I was debating switching clinics, it was the thought that I'd be leaving Sara and Marie that would make me sad. I couldn't imagine starting over with a new nurse, one who wouldn't ask me how life was, how the play I was in went, or if I was dating anyone. They weren't just my nurses, they were my friends. They really cared about me. They care about all of us CFers! But I knew they would want me to do what is best for me. So a in May 2011 I left Sara and Marie and joined Dr B's Clinic (private practice, he hates the term clinic) in Chicago.

Last Saturday proved me right. I saw them at the GreatStrides walk, I got soo excited to see them! When they saw how good I looked and I told them my lung function has gone up from the 30s to 60s and that I was 106-107 in weight, they looked like they were soo happy, they were going to cry. I also told them I did a 5K and that I'm really getting healthy, they were all smiles. Of course, which makes me smile, but also sad to realize I miss them!

I gave up two of the MOST amazing nurses to go to Dr. B! I was a tough decision, but in the last year I have done so well, I know I made the right choice and now, Sara and Marie are proud of me too!

I'm beyond happy that these two women are finally getting publicly recognized for their dedication to the CF community and their patients! And the Breath of Life Gala is a large fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis reasearch too, which is something they support in their spare time (going to galas, Cf walks, etc)!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u