Skip to main content

Nervous Nelly...

Yipes, uh oh...

My Groshong Mediport has been bothering me lately. I figured, eh. But it's supposed to be flushed with saline every month...and It's probably been 10 months. My port is in my chest. My doctor was a genius and while other people have there's up higher on there chest/shoulder area. Mine is tucked away and hidden. People don't even know I have it. I can hook up IV's run them under my shirts and into my purse, where I have a portable pump! Nobody notices!

Ports don't usually have long life spans before they cause problems..and I have had mine since 1997. Which might mean changing it out.  I feel like a disgrace to the CF Community and pathetic by saying this (considering how many surgeries I have already had) but:

I DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH SURGERY, expecially one where they take out and re-insert a catheter in my jugular.

 I hope it just flushes and feels better. I wish I could flush it myself, I change my own feeding tube when I need to a new one, I do my own IV meds, I'm pretty sure I could take my own blood if they'd let me :-)

 Once I even put a Nasogastric Tube (NG Tube) down my own nose (you insert through nose and run it down the back of your throat into your somtach). I did it out of spite.

[a side track story (I sidetrack a lot), it is about the most scary & frustrating night in my life]

I was away at college, when my intestines twisted into knots;I knew they weren't going to come undone. I had to call an ambulance from the dorm. My doctor (not the "content one" the one before him, who I loved) told them to transfer me right away. They kept me overnight and wouldn't transfer me. They said first I had to have an IV and an NG tube in. After they almost gave me morphine (which I'm deathly allergic too) I had little faith in them. I told the nurse she wasn't putting an IV in my port and to do a regular IV. She missed my vein so many times, I was just getting ticked off (and I'm usually cool with Nurses practicing on me). She finally got to the NG tube. And she kept saying all smug like "See, it's easy, look how nicely its going in"... (All while, I'm letting the tubing gather in my mouth, just to prove my point. I then opened my mouth and let it fall out) My Mom was shocked. lol.  The nurse wanted to do it again. I said "good gravy no, give it to me" I forced it down my throat (I just wanted Dr. Chatrath) At this point, I would have given anything for him. I got transfered and rushed into emergency surgery after I arrived. Annoying nurse. That hospital almost cost me my life. Thank God, for Surgeons like Dr. Vagunta!

Maybe, I won't need my mediport fixed, ts just annoying not knowing. But if I do I hope I get a good surgeon like Vagunta! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec...

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh...

The Stork Came!

It finally happened!!! The Stork came to our house!! We had 3 kids placed with us (on August 4th) Friday afternoon. Luckily, Andrew was able to take off Friday-Monday (Aug 4th-7th) to be home as we all adjust the first few days. He then worked 8th-12th, but we needed him back home more until the kiddos started school. So took a full second week off, because it was really rough ! Big thanks to Culvers & Phil for allowing us time we needed. I love having kids in the house, but it's a lot of appointments for these kiddos at first. . For privacy reasons, I will never use their names or post pictures of them.  I have made fake names for these posts. When they called I was a little nervous to take 3 kids at once, especially since I have Cystic Fibrosis. We had agreed on only 2 originally. But, the lady explained the 3 of them really needed somewhere. Most foster parent's don't take sibling groups and it is really rare to find one that will take three, so our hearts wanted to ...