Skip to main content

Nervous Nelly...

Yipes, uh oh...

My Groshong Mediport has been bothering me lately. I figured, eh. But it's supposed to be flushed with saline every month...and It's probably been 10 months. My port is in my chest. My doctor was a genius and while other people have there's up higher on there chest/shoulder area. Mine is tucked away and hidden. People don't even know I have it. I can hook up IV's run them under my shirts and into my purse, where I have a portable pump! Nobody notices!

Ports don't usually have long life spans before they cause problems..and I have had mine since 1997. Which might mean changing it out.  I feel like a disgrace to the CF Community and pathetic by saying this (considering how many surgeries I have already had) but:

I DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH SURGERY, expecially one where they take out and re-insert a catheter in my jugular.

 I hope it just flushes and feels better. I wish I could flush it myself, I change my own feeding tube when I need to a new one, I do my own IV meds, I'm pretty sure I could take my own blood if they'd let me :-)

 Once I even put a Nasogastric Tube (NG Tube) down my own nose (you insert through nose and run it down the back of your throat into your somtach). I did it out of spite.

[a side track story (I sidetrack a lot), it is about the most scary & frustrating night in my life]

I was away at college, when my intestines twisted into knots;I knew they weren't going to come undone. I had to call an ambulance from the dorm. My doctor (not the "content one" the one before him, who I loved) told them to transfer me right away. They kept me overnight and wouldn't transfer me. They said first I had to have an IV and an NG tube in. After they almost gave me morphine (which I'm deathly allergic too) I had little faith in them. I told the nurse she wasn't putting an IV in my port and to do a regular IV. She missed my vein so many times, I was just getting ticked off (and I'm usually cool with Nurses practicing on me). She finally got to the NG tube. And she kept saying all smug like "See, it's easy, look how nicely its going in"... (All while, I'm letting the tubing gather in my mouth, just to prove my point. I then opened my mouth and let it fall out) My Mom was shocked. lol.  The nurse wanted to do it again. I said "good gravy no, give it to me" I forced it down my throat (I just wanted Dr. Chatrath) At this point, I would have given anything for him. I got transfered and rushed into emergency surgery after I arrived. Annoying nurse. That hospital almost cost me my life. Thank God, for Surgeons like Dr. Vagunta!

Maybe, I won't need my mediport fixed, ts just annoying not knowing. But if I do I hope I get a good surgeon like Vagunta! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Updates!

 Hey everyone! Sorry it’s been a while. Covid struggles have been all around and we have been focusing our on our kiddo and current life situations (jobs, home, everything really). We have been posting regularly on the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/CherizCFPage). We will keep you updated on there for now,  because we are doing some big changes to our current blog! Stay tuned!  In meantime, message our FB page if you need anything. Keep safe and stay happy.  We will be back. Promise! 

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment