Skip to main content

Clinical Trial, lung function test, and Crohn's diease

Clinical Trial, Clinic Today:

 Clinical Trial 9am:
Today, I went back to Dr. B's office for the clinical trial evaluation and start of trial. My last evaluation was a mess and I was not too happy with it (Read about the first trial evaluation mess here!) Luckily, we doubled today with my CF Clinic. It was a long day 9am-2pm in the office. BUT, good news is I'M ON THE TRIAL! It's not a new drug. I'm just doing the two meds like I always have (unless I get the placebo). I love being a part of clinical trials! The thought of helping drugs be approved that can help our health or even get approved by insurance easier! In the past I did a Clinical Trial for enzymes (that was a horrible clinical trial). I had to collect my stool in buckets and mail it to the lab...EW. But, it was to help us digest food better. AND now I'm on Zenpep, which is a fairly new enzyme and it does wonders for me! I did clinical trials also for Pulmozyme and Tobi too! So excited to get involved again!

Clinic @ noon:
I had clinic right after the clinical trial evaluation. My lung function is at 59% which is pretty much my Baseline. I'm okay with that for now, but it better not drop anymore. No changes to any meds. I have to go back in 6 weeks for my next clinic. I go to clinic every 1.5 months now on average. I used to go once every 3 months / only 4xs a year. Now, I'm going around 9 times...But, I have lots of other issues. I feel like a genetic mess:
-Cystic Fibrosis
-CF related Arthritis
-Low bone density
-Seizures
-Mild Spastic Hemiplegia Cerebral Palsy (affecting my right side)
-Liver Issues
-Vitamin Deficiency (due to CF)
-Borderline CF related Diabetes
-Bad GI issues (low weight too)- stomach tube placed
So GI issues/Crohns:
I've always had lots of bowel obstructions, problems with bloating/gas, diarrhea. But it never lasted. The problems come and go. We always just figured it was CF. Another CF problem, since lot of CFers have GastroIntestinal Issues! But, apparently...its not as normal as I thought. I had a CT scan done and my intestines and colon are inflammed. The GI doc said she wants to make sure it's not Crohns Disease. It could be a simple infection (fingers crossed for that). But, apparently new studies have showed some common mutation link between CF and Crohns (DF508). People with CF are 17 x more likely to be diagnosed with Crohns. Which I find interesting, regardless how my colonscopy results turn out!  Scheduling the oh, so fun colonoscopy when the doc's office calls me to schedule me. Hopefully, before Thansgiving! I don't want to have to watch what I eat on Thanksgiving!
Looking forward figuring out my GI problems, hoping after my Colonoscopy we can figure out my GI problems and not need as many obstruction surgeries in the future! I don't want to feel like an operation board game anymore!

Operation: I loved this game when I was little, but my whole family played tons of board games! Clue, Go For Broke, Easy Money, Racko, Skipbo, PayDay, Bonkers, Chicken Foot, etc! LOVE BOARD GAMES!

Plus, following up with the Rheumetologist, on the Clinical Trial (which forces me to be 100% compliant). I'm huge RESEARCH LOVER and enjoyed doing Research in School, so I will be compliant, it's for science! I'm a science fanatic! I'm signing up for a dance class (after I figure out the Grant application, etc for CF Exercise)...Hopefully, getting my tuition reibursed and start really working on my Master's Degree again! Hopefully, things will just get better.
.
Laura: No new updates, still fighting, but she isn't listed yet. (To read about Laura's Fight click here for the blog post! She is supposed to receive her care package today in the mail, hope it cheers her up!
And thank you for everyone who reads my blogs! Feel free to ask ?s if you have them! I'm an open book! Any other Cfers that have/been tested for Crohns too/ had inflammed colon/intestines?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh

5K. I could cry. Beyond Annoyed.

My 5K I paid my registartion fee weeks ago, have been training and I'm ready for the 5K. However, I didn't get to run my 5K today. Why? Because Cystic Fibrosis decided to one up me. I got my spots back friday, and they just got worse and worse. They look like this: They take over my feet, and sometimes my calves. I posted about this a few weeks ago. I had them during the last few performances of Hairspray. I call it the "Mummy disease" because when it happens my joints freeze up and I can't move. So the morning of my 5K I wake up and they are on my thighs...     and on my arms. This is the worst they have been in years. I took pictures to show Dr. B at my clinic on the 11th.  I'm just really bummed and upset about my weekend! I was supposed to run my first 5K!!!!! I then had a bags tournament in Peoria for the Dream Factory, and was then going to head to Champaign for Sat night- Monday! My friend Alex, reserved me a ticket for Ren

No Holiday Blues, just Tummy Troubles!

Stomach Issues, Gee, Wonder Why: Let me start by stating that, I take a lot of pills. Its not a big deal and all of them are very important. I take vitamins, oral antibiotics, some oral steriods, pills for acid reflux, pills for arthritis, and then enzymes every time I eat.  But lots of people don't realize how crucial those pills are to me (well, to us CFers) I take 5-6 enzymes with meals and 3-4 with snacks (so 30 enzymes, and 10 other random pills a day). I have been good about taking them. I hate that Cystic Fibrosis affects my digestive system so much. If I can't digest anything, I won't have the nutrients I need to keep healthy, or be able to digest the food to keep weight on. Over the years, the enzymes have gotten better and help us absorb more. I've been on Pancreas, Creon, and now have been on Zenpep for the last couples years. I love my Zenpep ( read the RX list for Zenpep here ) However, the enzymes weren't effective enough when I was little t