Skip to main content

CF isn't all tears and saddness. Get a Full Picture.

 CF and Laughing

Cystic Fibrosis can bring sad times and times of tears (like losing a close friend with CF, etc) BUT, it can bring so much joy and love. I've noticed most people love to talk about the people they meet while traveling. This is usually, because they have learned something from the person. Or the person is considered unique to them. I can do the same thanks to my Cystic Fibrosis. I may not have traveled much in my life thus far, but I have learned mountains of lessons from my CF.

[Picture right:  Me ready for surgery in 2nd grade!]

Forgive my shoutouts (but I must recognize a few amazing people)

I have met some of the most amazing doctors: Chatrath, Dr. B
Nurses: Sara & Marie (from Clinic), Lizzard, Melody (best IV stick ever), Deb, and Kris (you know a nurse is amazing if you love her after putting tubes down your nose!)
Respitory Therapists: Jeannette, Lanell, and Don (you da Man)
And Cookie Marrow (Musical Therapist- She would sing to me all the time in hospital and once I even sang to her (she was in the hospital having surgery on her foot)).

AND patients. for example:
[Picture: Me and Tubes: Meet Jennifer Weber. Jennifer was in colllege back then, early 20s. While my CF friends and I were all 8-11 years old. None of us were on oxygen, and we asked her what the tubes were. She explained she had  to be on oxygen to breath and then we gave her the nickname "tubes"! She loved joking and made us laugh a lot. She has been fortunate and has received 2 double lung transplants over time! ]

Why would I ever wish I wasn't born with CF when I got to witness life changing stories everyday. Stories of love, hope and inspiration. I saw real struggles and obstacles. I saw people perservere and love life to the fullest!

I have met many amazing kids and young adults with many diseases and disabilities, while staying/living in the hospital. Therefore, I learned empathy at a very young age. I loved/love with all my heart. (Probably, why I was a little overbearing/protective/clingy with my little sister). Sounds cheesy, but its true. I learned to help other kids in the hospital and make friends with everyone. I was the kid, whose parents became parents to all the CFers in the hospital. I learned how to love from my parents and my CF. 

I owe a lot of my character and personality to my "stays" in the hospital. Don't get me wrong, the fact I haven't been in one since 2008 and haven't been on IV meds since 2010 (*fist pump*) doesn't mean I want to stop my upward trend in health. It just means I'm thankful for the positives CF has brought me. It has made me tougher, more independent, and mostly, more loving. For once, I stop to say thank you CF.



Comments

  1. Cheriz, I loved this post. I always have found a trend among CF patients well at least on the blogger front. CF has made us who we are. We are stronger, more mature, independent, the list goes on and on. I love this about our community.

    But I know all of us cannot wait for that day when this disease is cured!! Keep fighting on Cheriz and living your dreams!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a unique and positive perspective on CF.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh

5K. I could cry. Beyond Annoyed.

My 5K I paid my registartion fee weeks ago, have been training and I'm ready for the 5K. However, I didn't get to run my 5K today. Why? Because Cystic Fibrosis decided to one up me. I got my spots back friday, and they just got worse and worse. They look like this: They take over my feet, and sometimes my calves. I posted about this a few weeks ago. I had them during the last few performances of Hairspray. I call it the "Mummy disease" because when it happens my joints freeze up and I can't move. So the morning of my 5K I wake up and they are on my thighs...     and on my arms. This is the worst they have been in years. I took pictures to show Dr. B at my clinic on the 11th.  I'm just really bummed and upset about my weekend! I was supposed to run my first 5K!!!!! I then had a bags tournament in Peoria for the Dream Factory, and was then going to head to Champaign for Sat night- Monday! My friend Alex, reserved me a ticket for Ren

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers