Skip to main content

Holding Down the Fort


My husband, Andrew, is currently at Wartburg Theological Seminary and is starting his first week of his second year there. Every year he lives on campus for one week. He enjoys starting each semester on campus where he can build friendships with other students and professors. It's the only time he is on campus. Usually he does long-distance learning, online, from home. It was the only way we could manage him doing a four year Master degree program while working. This week is the hardest for us. However, we have something on Thursday and Friday this week, so Andrew will only be gone 3 days instead of the typical full five. So that will make this week a bit easier than the other semesters.









It's hard for Andrew to be away, although I know he is having a blast. We send random pictures back and forth like a book he may be reading or a game I may be playing with our kiddo. It is hard for the kid(s) to not see Andrew every day. We are foster parents and stability is a BIG issue for some of them, the current little guy we have right now, hasn't gotten upset yet. Since Andrew works a lot normally and it's only been 24 hours so far. Usually he starts realizing he is gone on the second day. So we will see. I always plan lots of fun things to keep him occupied though too.





I'm usually the full-time primary caregiver, which is why I stepped down from the my real estate career two months ago. I miss my career, but I'm so glad I did. Our kiddo usually has 3-5 appointments a week and I have 1-3 a week. So there is a lot of time in the car and my career was suffering. Guess I have lots of practice if I ever decided to be a Uber Driver. My appointments are always in the morning during the 3 hours our kiddo is a school (half day Pre-k). Which leaves errands, chores, and everything for while he is home. This makes it difficult to get everything done. I think most moms can relate to that. It's always the medication aspect that can be the most complicated.









When Andrew is away I get up earlier to do my meds before our kiddo wakes up and I do my evening ones after he goes to sleep. I don't have time to do four hours worth of treatments while he is awake. So needless to say I'm a little more tired than typical, but so far its working out okay. Being a parent with cystic fibrosis is a huge blessing. I'm thankful for it every single day. I'm so happy that Andrew and I get the joy of being foster parents. It's also tiring and a challenge (but SOOOO worth it).





Being an only parent for a week is hard on me and makes me think about all the single parents out there (especially those with chronic illnesses). Being organized and sticking to a schedule is the only way I manage. I just hope I don't get sick or have arthritis flare ups while Andrew is gone. Honestly, I never look forward to those two weeks a year when Andrew will be away. The two weeks Andrew takes his vacation from work and goes away are the two worst weeks of the year for me. But, I know that he enjoys it and its important for his Masters program and future career as a Pastor. I'd lying though if I didn't say I was counting down the days until his school is over. I dream about the day when he will be able to spend more time with his family opposed to studying all the time. I dream of when we will be able to use his vacation weeks from work to actually vacation instead of him going away to school. I also wouldn't mind sharing more of the parenting role, so I have time to grocery shop by myself or watch a TV show. And I'm very much looking forward to when Andrew can start pursuing his career in the church, something he has always wanted (like since he was young). I know how important it is to him. I'm hopeful for the future path he takes and excited to see what may happen. Maybe we will even be able to foster more kids at a time and who knows, I may even be able to start my real estate career again.





For now I will focus on the day-to-day and just enjoy every minute of the one-on-one time I get with our kiddo. I hope playing some new games we got (CandyLand) and stringing beads will keep our minds off Andrew being away. Fingers Crossed!






Comments

  1. I remember playing CandyLand when I was younger, along with Hi Ho Cherry O, Chutes and Ladders, Operation, Go Fish and Old Maid. Was looking at some newer games and found some Shoes might like Hoot Owl Hoot, Sight word Swat, Zingo, Monster Stomp. Always try to enjoy as many moments as possible. Which if you are not feeling well or are stressed out is not always easy to do. But just remember regardless of how you feel once a moment is gone it is gone. And there is no getting it back. My organizational skills lie in being disorganized. If I ever had anything in place I probably would not be able to find it. For some reason I work better when under pressure and behind schedule. I don't know if Andrew has read any books by the following John Owen G.K Chesterton Thomas Aquinas. But anything by any of them is worth reading. Speaking of Andrew do you think he would be interested in leading the service at an ultreya. Which is part of Via De Cristo. Basically short sermon Scripture lesson and Communion. Only requirement is to have attended a Lutheran Church. And since Wartburg is Evangelical Lutheran he qualifies. The next one is in Moline on Oct 5th. Don't remember which church but believe it is on either 41st Ave or 43rd Ave. Starts around 5:30 with supper. Then worship service around 7. If you both would like to attend. They do have a children's area with 2 or 3 people to look after them and have things for them to do. Don't know how well Shoes does with people not familiar with. But I'm sure they have speakers in room so can hear what is going on during worship. You can bring your own table service if you want. But host church always provides table service and drinks. If you would like to attend you will be my guests so there is no need to bring anything. Generally everyone brings a dish to pass. But is not required. Kate and her mom are most always there. Well hope everything continues to go well. And if their happens to be a few bumps along the way. The better things will turn out. God never promised a smooth journey. Just that he would be with you all the way to the end. Take care and live each moment with passion
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doug,
    I have heard of some of those games- I will have to look them up! I have a few more I plan to get too. I don't read as much, I have always had some eye trouble and had eye surgery a few years ago. I read sometimes, but can't do it for long periods at a time. Andrew loves to read. I will tell him who you mentioned and see if he has read any of their works! I think Andrew would enjoy leading, and we have been wanting to attend a weekend. However, the dates never match up well. October 5th is a big CF event I do/co-chair in Peoria, so we are already busy that day. Hoping one works out in the future though! And thank you!! We always do enjoy our time/life <3 Lots to love about it. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers

5K. I could cry. Beyond Annoyed.

My 5K I paid my registartion fee weeks ago, have been training and I'm ready for the 5K. However, I didn't get to run my 5K today. Why? Because Cystic Fibrosis decided to one up me. I got my spots back friday, and they just got worse and worse. They look like this: They take over my feet, and sometimes my calves. I posted about this a few weeks ago. I had them during the last few performances of Hairspray. I call it the "Mummy disease" because when it happens my joints freeze up and I can't move. So the morning of my 5K I wake up and they are on my thighs...     and on my arms. This is the worst they have been in years. I took pictures to show Dr. B at my clinic on the 11th.  I'm just really bummed and upset about my weekend! I was supposed to run my first 5K!!!!! I then had a bags tournament in Peoria for the Dream Factory, and was then going to head to Champaign for Sat night- Monday! My friend Alex, reserved me a ticket for Ren

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh