Skip to main content

My Body Can't Keep Up


I turned 34 in April this year! I love celebrating my birthday each year and seeing more wrinkles and gray hair appear. I LOVE that I am building this beautiful life with my family. I just wish my body could keep up...





Being born with cystic fibrosis meant some challenges throughout my life. I never knew when CF would throw me a curve ball. I missed a lot of holidays in the hospital growing up and sometimes my body tells me to stop. The last few months have been more rough for my CF-related Arthritis. And today isn't any different, despite it being Father's Day!





Dad & Andrew




I had wonderful plans to go home to see my Dad today, then come back home in time to make some dinner for my family when Andrew gets off work around 5 or 6pm tonight. I had a lot of great plans to celebrate my husband and Dad for Father's Day- They deserve it. But, I woke up with frozen/stiff joints and spots all over. I can barely move, let alone walk or drive today. So all those plans went out the window and today I will be stuck resting. I can deal with the pain, but being stuck... not so fun!





The flare ups have been more reoccurring lately and have been lasting longer. It makes me realize some of my body's limits physically. Andrew and I have been looking up some vacation ideas for 2020. And we had to have a talk about whether we want to rent an electric scooter everyday or should we just break down and buy one for our trips. Small zoos or day trips I tend to still be okay. But bigger zoos like Brookfield, St. Louis, or bigger amusements parks- I will need it. I dehydrate faster walking and I get worn out. By the next day my body feels rough, plus putting my body through too much physically tends to result in arthritis flare ups. These flare up are disabling and can ruin any day.





But, its the perfect example to explain how amazing my Dad and Husband have been. I remember when I would have these flare ups when I was a kid. Dad would carry me everywhere. Dad also worked two jobs most of life to provide (6am-11pm). He saved vacation days to spend them in the hospital with me. He always worked so hard, but honestly has NEVER complained once. Never said he was tired, never said anything negative. He taught me how to be tough and love life no matter what! I have his personality, humor, hard working ethic, and loyalty. I'm thankful he is my DAD. My Dad also has become a Grandparent (Bop-Bop) to all of the foster children we have had (4 kids in two years so far).





We were licensed almost exactly two years ago today!
June 2017




Which brings me to Andew, my amazing husband. Who just partners with me in everything, no matter how difficult. He makes me realize I'm not alone and I'm so thankful we decided to Foster. He is an great Dad! I never thought I'd find someone as hard working as my dad or who would partner with me in all my medical issues- boy, I was wrong. Andrew, also worked two jobs (for 2 years) in order to provide. Now he is working full time as the head of the Meat & Seafood Dept at the local Grocery Store, then he is working on his Masters Degree (Seminary School). I'm so proud of everything he has accomplished (and by age 28). I'm thankful we met, fell in love, and are building a life together.





Life has been even more great, since my step back in Real Estate. Getting to enjoy every minute with my kiddo(s). Just wish I could get CF or my body to listen. LOL. And while it may be hard for me to admit I need help and it is hard to deal with, I'm thankful to have such a great support system. And for now, I will do what I can and enjoy my wonderful life & family <3





HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the AMAZING DADS out there!!!






Comments

  1. Strongest person I know!!!!!The stuff you go through day in and day out is crazy. I know I wouldn’t be able to face that every day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you sense or feel when one of these flare ups are going to occur. Or do they come on without warning. Will they eventually get worse or last longer. Besides rest in there any type of therapy that would help out. It is good that you have a strong support group there for you helping out. But I know that it would totally suck making plans to do something and then having to cancel. At least you have people around you who understand and are there for you. p.s on electric scooter I would buy one that way you can have the features you want. Renting is okay. But you don't know how well they have been maintained. Hope flare ups lessen or at least aren't as sever. Just remember whatever is going on always try to see the positive. because I believe that how you view things can effect how you feel and can aid in healing process. Looking forward to walk on 29th

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carlos!! I think anyone could though, I mean.. if they had to. But i really appreciate the kind words. PS. why have we not hung out since we live in the same area now? We should fix this soon! I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not much warning with them usually, until I start to feel the pain. It is a pain for making plans, usually i wont let it stop me (I just use a scooter, etc if needed). I am looking into cheap, portable electric scooters, so I can have on to take on trips. I'm hoping by keeping a journal Doc can figure out the causes, etc and help more. Great seeing you at the walk, you were a fundraiser superstar! Thanks for all you do Doug!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers

5K. I could cry. Beyond Annoyed.

My 5K I paid my registartion fee weeks ago, have been training and I'm ready for the 5K. However, I didn't get to run my 5K today. Why? Because Cystic Fibrosis decided to one up me. I got my spots back friday, and they just got worse and worse. They look like this: They take over my feet, and sometimes my calves. I posted about this a few weeks ago. I had them during the last few performances of Hairspray. I call it the "Mummy disease" because when it happens my joints freeze up and I can't move. So the morning of my 5K I wake up and they are on my thighs...     and on my arms. This is the worst they have been in years. I took pictures to show Dr. B at my clinic on the 11th.  I'm just really bummed and upset about my weekend! I was supposed to run my first 5K!!!!! I then had a bags tournament in Peoria for the Dream Factory, and was then going to head to Champaign for Sat night- Monday! My friend Alex, reserved me a ticket for Ren

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh