Skip to main content

Huge decisions, big impact


I wasn't sure if I wanted to discuss this or should write this post. I had to make a really tough decision this week. I have been struggling with it for months. I finally decided to bite the bullet and do what I needed to...





I decided to share because there are probably many others in the same or similar situation. Well, here it is: I took a giant step back in my career.<insert gasp> That's right. I, Cheriz Kunkel, houses fanatic, architecture loving, Realtor, has taken a step away from her Real Estate Career. Let that sink in.





NOTE: If you are looking to buy or sell- STILL CONTACT ME. I still make commission on referrals!!!! Plus, I worked with some AMAZING realtors that are friends. So please still reach out!!!





Realtor of Year: 2017




I have been a Realtor for 5 years now and I have LOVED being in this industry. Helping people buy & sell, nothing gives me a greater joy than having a 1st time home owner excited to purchase their own HOME! I had always wanted to do Real Estate, but do to lack of health benefits never could...until 5 years ago when Andrew and I married and I was covered under his benefits. Now though, I have WAY too much on my plate.





I can't balance CF, work, kid, appointments, house anymore. I admit defeat. I need to stop. I'm dropping the ball on things more important than my work. I'm behind in my planning for the Princeton CF Walk. I haven't had time to run errands in weeks. I feel like if I don't start figuring out how to say no to things. I will just explode from the pressure of everything.





Here is the issue:





  • 8AM I get my toddler to school
  • 8-9:30AM Nebulizers & vest, sterilize med equip
  • 9:30-10AM high cal/fat breakfast & pills & shower, get ready
  • 10:20-11AM Work at office OR run errands OR clean
  • 11-11:45 Get kiddo from school
  • 12-2:00PM Lunch, kiddo naps during my afternoon nebs
  • 2-5PM Appointments : Our kiddo has between 4-7 (hour+ long) appointments a week in the late afternoons. Each is 30 min drive each way. 2-3 are foster related, 3 therapy/services, and 1-2 doc, dentist or CF related. Also 1 x week I have an hour long conference call with the CFF for one of the committees I'm on 4 committees.
  • 5:30-6PM Get home & get dinner ready
  • 6- 7PM Dinner as a family
  • 7-7:45 bath, book, bedtime routine
  • 8-9:30 Night meds then bed.




During that 40 minute (work) block, I usually run errands or work on stuff on the computer. And usually the computer work is for CF related activities and not real estate.





I think I refused to give up sooner, because I LOVED my career and it doubled in growth when I switched the Keller Williams in March 2018. I didn't want to give up such success. Plus, a lot of people with CF give up careers due to health. I didn't want to feel like I was already at the point where I couldn't work anymore. But, I realize its not that I can't work. Its that I have different priorities and things I want/need to do more.





Andrew & I




It just comes down to priorities. Health & Family, fostering, and the CFF Mission- right now that's all I can handle. So work had to go. Andrew just got a promotion last month that makes up for most of my salary. His job promotion came at the PERFECT time! I no longer will choose between work and family, health, or volunteer work.





I still have my license and will continue to keep it active, it's just on hold. At some point I hope to make a return to Real Estate. Maybe when our kid(s) are in school full time. But for now, I will do what I'm doing to stay healthy & happy. Plus, I sell Tastefully simple on the side AND don't forget I can still help in Real Estate. I do make commission on referrals. So no matter where you live, if buying or selling- let me know! I can find you the perfect Realtor (within my extensive network). So adios career.... for now. I have some other priorities that I want to focus on. Time for my family and myself.










Comments

  1. A lot of times even though you know what needs to be done. It is still hard to come to the decision to stop doing something especially if it is something you love doing. So then you find that regardless of how hard you try to balance everything there is only so many hours in the day. And if there were more hours you would probably wind up trying to get more done. Now if you are a perfectionist it is even harder. Because everything has to be just so. So regardless how hard you try to get every thing accomplished. You would most likely find yourself neglecting certain things even though you don't want to. Then comes to what at the time seems to be the hard part deciding what to give up. After prioritizing what is most important. Temporarily giving up real estate even though it may have seemed difficult was the only decision that you could come to. Now I don't know if you get stressed out or not. But wether you do or not I'm sure there will be less stress now. But just remember now that you are no longer working and you find yourself with more time to get things done without being rushed. When you find yourself done with time on your hand. Don't think you have to be doing something to fill that time. Sit back relax and spend a little time to yourself. Don't worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself. Every day is a new day with all sorts of possibilities. So greet each day with excitement and trepidation filled with wonder and awe of what awaits you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't say it better myself. And yes, I was getting stressed out. Which who wants that? So even though it was hard, I'm glad. More time for my family & myself. Less rushed. Just makes life one step simpler. Thank you for the kind words. It is 100% the truth, you hit the nail on the head. Take Care Doug!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers

5K. I could cry. Beyond Annoyed.

My 5K I paid my registartion fee weeks ago, have been training and I'm ready for the 5K. However, I didn't get to run my 5K today. Why? Because Cystic Fibrosis decided to one up me. I got my spots back friday, and they just got worse and worse. They look like this: They take over my feet, and sometimes my calves. I posted about this a few weeks ago. I had them during the last few performances of Hairspray. I call it the "Mummy disease" because when it happens my joints freeze up and I can't move. So the morning of my 5K I wake up and they are on my thighs...     and on my arms. This is the worst they have been in years. I took pictures to show Dr. B at my clinic on the 11th.  I'm just really bummed and upset about my weekend! I was supposed to run my first 5K!!!!! I then had a bags tournament in Peoria for the Dream Factory, and was then going to head to Champaign for Sat night- Monday! My friend Alex, reserved me a ticket for Ren

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh