Skip to main content

When Walls Come Tumbling Down


Andrew and I moved in October of 2018. We wanted slightly more space and being closer to family helps when I'm sick (I have Cystic Fibrosis). We are now super close to my sister and 30-45 minutes closer to the rest of our family. Which really helps during times (like now) when I'm on Ivs and extra meds.





But, did you know I'm a Realtor (with Keller Williams) and house-enthusiast?? I LOVE homes!! I'm not just saying that. I have since I was a kid. I used to go through open houses (begging and dragging my mom with me). Since age of 8 years old I would sit and design floor plans in my free time. I have a big binder full of them. I LOVE older homes that need some love to come back to life! Our first home was a 1930s bungalow. It was beautiful!









I loved that house, but we know who bought it and know they love it too :-)





We needed to move to be closer to work, family, my doc, and everything. It makes life a lot simpler for us. And the area we decided to move to doesn't have a lot of older homes, mostly new construction. So when I found a super outdated 1950s ranch, I jumped at the chance! I wrote a guest blog for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, about looking for a home and how CF impacts my search for one: Buying a Home: Tips from a Realtor with CF









I love remodeling and it was going really well, until it came to a hault recently. We discovered our dishwasher had been slowly leaking under the laminate flooring in the kitchen. UGH. We were working on opening up some of the walls and updating the basement before this happened. We were planning on remodeling the kitchen area anyway, but now we have to scramble a bit to come up with the funds to update it sooner. We are knocking down a wall and doing a LOT of work to it (note: I don't do the work, I have a friend we hire).





I promise to post updates and photos! We are slowly getting everything figured out. It's been an annoying and inconvenient problem. It's been two months since this happened and FINALLY, our flooring arrives tomorrow. We are finishing the kitchen demolition and knocking down a couple walls over the next week. Then, we install new flooring throughout our entire main floor. After that we can put in cabinets, counter, and appliances. Still working on all the financial aspects., ugh...





You may know I'm a fan of Financial Peace University and Dave Ramesy's plan to be out of debt. We were soooo close. Now, we will need to finance our flooring, take a bit out of retirement, in order to pay for it all. BUT, we will pay back the retirement 401K over the next 12 months and the flooring was zero percent interest. So hopefully, it won't set us to far back in our budgeting & financial plans.





Keep you all posted on home updates! I will also be blogging about our tips & tricks to be frugal, but still have fun! I CAN'T WAIT to get my kitchen BACK!


Comments

  1. Thanks Cheriz for the great read! Looking forward to your financial tips (teach me your ways! being a grownup is hard! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adulting is hard for sure!!! I feel your pain. I will be putting out a financial post in the next two weeks! If you haven't subscribe to the email list on the right hand side, then you will receive all our blogs in your email right when they publish!!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u