Skip to main content

Goodbyes are the Hardest

My husband and I have been foster parents for just over a year. On August 4th 2017 we took in our first set of kiddos. If you have reading my blog you will know I refer to them by Cajun,Barbie, Shoes. All three are amazing kids! It was a whirlwind of lots of learning, and firsts for them. But the learning and proud moments made up for the pure chaos.  Being a part of all that learning, creates a bond. A strong bond.  No matter how tough is was on us, those kiddos had a million times worse. Saying goodbye to those two was hard when they moved out. I cried for days, maybe weeks. Sometimes I still do randomly. When I see a Peterbuilt Semi Truck or anything Unicorn, I think of them. I have my memories and I knew when I said goodbye is wasn't forever (at least not yet). Since we still have Shoes with us, we get to see Cajun and Barbie at all his sibling visits for a few mins. I still miss them, but I get to continue to watch them grow and learn from a far at least.


We have had of respite kiddos over the last 6 months too. We have done respite 3 times.  We had a set of siblings once for a week, and then we had another little boy for a weekend (twice). We love providing Respite, we know Foster Parents may need a break or can struggle to find babysitters ( I always need more babysitters). Plus, Shoes loves having friends come visit. Telling him they are coming to visit helps him understand they will leave.


On our third wedding anniversary, we had Court for Shoes, and we got a call about taking a temporary placement (who we call Petunia online). She would only need a place to live for a week, two weeks at most. Then this little girl would get to return to her BioDad, which makes my heart happy to know reunification would happen for her. So we said " Of Course." I thought FINALLY A POSITIVE OUTCOME! We have loved having her with us this past month, but now that BioDad is not being reunited, they are looking for a more permanent placement where some of her siblings can be together at least. We are at a loss of words to say goodbye to her. We thought at least her case would have a positive outcome, but now she is right back at start again. Saying Goodbye to her, I know I may never and mostly likely will never see her again. It's hard not knowing the future or outcome. Not knowing if she will be happy, safe, engaged in the next home. Worst is how Petunia and Shoes will feel saying goodbye to each other. I'm nervous shoes won't understand where she went and ask for her all the time. I'm nervous for Petunia, even though I know she copes pretty well, is mature, loving, smart. I hope for the best. That's all I can do. Hope. Hope for the best.


With each and every kid we fall in love and hope for the best.  Adjusting at first is hard, but goodbyes are harder.


What a whirlwind of a year. Our first year in Fostering was very chaotic, but I wouldn't change it.


We are currently in the middle of switching insurance and moving, so after Friday, we are holding off on taking more kiddos, until we get established in the new house and Andrew's work insurance is figured out. I will let you know how that turns out very soon...





Comments

  1. Cheriz and Andrew,
    I am so grateful for these updates. Thank you for keeping us informed of your life and family and changes, good times and sad times. I think about you all the time. I am sorry Petunia cannot continue to be a part of your family, and I'm sure her life is better for knowing you, as is mine.
    Xoxo,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did Shoe's court case go. Hope everything turned out all right. However many children come and go through your home you will just have to hope and pray that any decisions made are the right ones and are in their best interests. Hope move is not to chaotic . Will shoe's have to be going to a new school. How is he taking the move. Praying that all works out okay. Take care and remember that every day is a new day with new hopes dreams and endless possibilities

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next court date isn't for a little while. Our foster kiddo(s) did fine with moving & the new school is GREAT! It is hard not knowing what the future holds for each kid that comes through our doors. But, we just love them as long as we can! I'm sure you will get to see "Shoes" at the Walk in June! :-) Thank you for always caring & supporting the CF Mission Doug!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line