Skip to main content

Ordering my Portable Vest

I was lucky enough to try on both the Monarch and AffloVest (portable therapy vests) while I was in the hospital. Luckily, since those two hospital stays I have been doing fairly well healthwise. I caught one virus that knocked me down for a bit, but my immune system fought it off with meds at home. No hospital or IVs this time, whew. I have needed to be healthy lately, considering I have been super busy between work, "Shoes' Appointments (our FosterSon), and trying to plan the Princeton CF Walk.

I'm super glad I am so busy with work. I have three closings over the next 3 weeks, YAY!  While I love working and being busy with life, it really has made me realize I need a portable vest. It's hard to get "Shoes" up and ready, while I do meds, and get my work stuff packed up too. So I am beyond thrilled I got to trial both vests.  I think both work really well and both would be effective. However, I really lean personally towards AffloVest in particular.

Each one is programmable with oscillating modules. The main reason I decided to go with the AffloVest is because the Monarch was painful for me to wear. They say it is "one size fits all" and then you adjust it's straps a little. However, 2 oscillating discs in the back dug into my shoulder blades. It may be my tiny size and the fact I have a bit of a spinal deformity, but it hurt while it was on and left marks on my shoulder blades. The Rep told me to just shove a washcloth in there... My other big negative to Monarch is the weight. It is 13 lbs!!!! That may not seem like much but to someone 100 lbs that's over 10% of my body weight. When the Rep said it was lightweight and I disagreed. She replied "Sitting you wouldn't notice...."  HELLO!!!! I'm getting this vest so I don't HAVE TO SIT! The AffloVest weighs around 8 lbs, which isn't as much, but still wish it was 1 or 2 lbs lighter. AffloVest was quieter, which helps If I'm doing it at work or if my kiddo(s) are napping. I do think the Hill-Rom Monarch Vest has some neat options (like if you have a port on one side, you can turn off one specific disc and keep the rest oscillating).  Also the Monarch has different colors you can order (no purple). AffloVest only comes in the blue. A negative to the AffloVest is when the shoulder straps are adjusted for a tiny person the leftover strap just sticks up. I told the AffloVest Rep they should make it so they snap down and aren't in the way. Afflovest buckles like the regular vest, whereas Monarch zips. The zipper makes it a little less bulky in the front, but I struggle with zippers. I have struggles with some fine motor abilities and still can't tie a shoe the normal way. So the reason I deicided on AffloVest is due to my tiny size (weight and fit), and other problems I have due to my Cerebral Palsy  (Zipper and Shoulder blade pain). These reasons won't apply to everyone.

I think both are great options, you just need to find the one that works better for you. I'm beyond excited to receive my AffloVest. They are putting it through insurance now. I need to send my measurements this week. Hopefully I will have in in the next 30 days! A portable vest will make my life a lot easier. Especially since "Shoes" is still terrified of my vest. I only do it when he isn't home or when he is already asleep. I'm not sure if it is the noise or tubes that are attached that scare him, maybe both. But, I'm hopeful the portable won't be as scary for him. Poor little guy. He is such a cutie. He just turned three on Sunday and he got a lot of neat new outdoor toys! So I can't wait to have the portable vest and be able to take him outside during it! Being stuck in one spot is a lot more difficult now that I'm a (Foster)Mom.

I will keep everyone updated on when I get it. And don't forget Princeton CF Walk at City County Park June 30th- if you come you will get to meet "Shoes"!!! You don't want to miss out on all the fun this year! :-) <3

Comments

  1. Hope vest works out ok. Read up on both of them online. The one you are getting does seem to be the better of the two. Although I did not understand everything all the papers on them were saying. Have requested June 30th off work so I can be at walk. Glad Shoes had a Happy Birthday. See you all on the 30th. Take care until then

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line