Skip to main content

Just Always Waiting

Secondary Medical Problems:


Well, it's been a while since I blogged. Something EXCITING though is we moved into our new home just under a month ago. By moved in... I mean Andrew and I started living there without our furniture. We finally got our furniture and our INTERNET a few days ago.  We had to do some work in it first, before we moved everything over.  I also had 3 Real Estate closings in the last month, plus other medical problems. t has been a busy time (with no internet), so sorry about the gap.  :-) Update: Basically I'm just waiting for everything.

I'm waiting for my eye surgery on September 14th. I'm waiting for insurance to pre-authorize, approve, and move forward with the Orkambi.  I'll wait until after my surgery to start Orkambi, since the side effects can be pretty horrible. But I will discuss my going on Orkambi once I have the "thumbs up" from insurance.

I'm excited to get my eye fixed finally and I'm very excited to see if Orkambi helps me and makes a difference. Plus, I'm going to be setting up more appointments to figure out all my GI problems and arthritis problems (and finally/hopefully get an official diagnosis for the problems).

The older I get the more I realize my secondary problems are becoming more of an issue. I always have dealt with the lung and gastrointestinal problems since I was a child. I get my liver checked every 6 months and keep an eye on my bone density, since I have struggled with those in the past. Plus, Docs have always said I have CF related Arthritis, but I really need to get an official diagnosis, because I think I'm almost at the point where I need meds for it. I'm trying not to take any extra medication and don't want to add more meds, but if I DO need them in the future, I want to have my ducks in a row. ya know?

I do have days where I have trouble with stairs or feel like my body is 20-30 years older. I have trouble getting up off the floor.Then there are the flare ups, where my joints freeze up and I can't move at all. I usually get a fever and my joints kill me. It's gotten bad enough in the past that I needed help changing my own shirt, because my elbows/shoulders couldn't bend. I've been stuck in wheelchair before from it (usually when its really bad a rash appears with it).. Lately my joints just have felt old and stiff. Not frozen. So not sure if it's something different or not.

After a bad fall a few months ago I joked about getting a life line bracelet. However, it made me think about the medical allergy alert bracelet I had talked about in the past.  Here is my thought: I'm deathly allergic to morphine. Last time & only time I was given Morphine I had anaphylatic shock and my organs starting shutting down. So it's bad to say the least. I always tell everyone I can't have it, but the ONLY reason certain people have wanted me to get a med alert bracelt is because EMTs supposedly use Morphine in the field. Which means if I'm unconscious from an accident, etc they would need to know not to administer pain meds. It's seems pretty rare that would happen though, and I absolutely hate bracelets. I never wear them. They never fit right, so I'm really torn. I know others would feel better, and it is smart, but ehhhhh.... So I'm still debating on that... IDK.

Otherwise, I'm just excited to get my health all figured out!!! Andrew and I hope to really make some solid "future family" plans. Including looking into surrogacy, adoption, and fostering in September/ October once my body has had time to adjust to the Orkambi and my health is all figured out. And in the mean time I will be working on our house, doing Real Estate, and power walking. I'm doing another 5K on July 30th for suicide prevention in Peoria, IL. All proceeds go to the Hult Center for suicide prevention programs. I'm trying to find more Central IL 5ks for causes too (so if you know any let me know)






Comments

  1. I think you should have a med alert something.. what about a pendant on a chain? God forbid you should be in a serious accident the most important thing is your medical alerts. I think :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I have been looking into options. I really don't wear any jewelry except my earrings. But, I'm going to break down and get used to a bracelet. I can get it sized and find one I really like :-) Thanks for sharing! You are right!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u