Skip to main content

Golf for a Cure & Other Fundraisers

Fundraisers & More:

Yesterday was a great day! Andrew and I attended the Suzanna Lee Memorial Silver Cup Challenge, Golf Outing for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. It is one of the Peoria CFF Chapter's yearly events and this year was the Golf Outing's 15th year!

Everyone arrives around 11am for the grilled outdoor lunch before Tee time starts at noon. The Golfers are out for 4 hours golfing, some of the holes have competitions at them (like longest putt). During the golfing volunteers help set up the banquet dinner hall. There are over 100 silent auctions, chocolate fountain, hors d'oeuvres, followed by the dinner served between 5:30-6:30pm.

Andrew loved golfing and I enjoyed helping set up the silent auctions. I was the speaker this year and was very honored to the speaking about my life with Cystic Fibrosis. The Golf Outing was started 15 years ago in memory of Suzanna Lee (a girl who went to my CF Clinic and was from Peoria). Her parents host it every year and it raises a lot of the money for the CF Foundation!

I've uploaded my speech to YouTube here and I will be posting the Golf Outing Album in the next few days on my CF Facebook Awareness Page, make sure to check it out!

Now that the Golf Outing is over, it is time for me to hardcore focus on the Princeton CF Walk! We still need a few more teams to sign up. We lost 2 big teams from last year ( do to moving, etc). I'm excited for their new chapters in their lives, but we could use some help in reaching our Goal Amount! We have brought in around $5,000 so far online, but at this time last year we had raised over $10,000. We raised $23,000 last year and this year we are projected to only raise around $8,000-$10,000 this year!

Some ways you can help is donate, share, or join us walking and form your own team! Also, hosting a secondary supplemental fundraiser is very helpful. My uncles host a dessert party every year. They make some dessert, get some wine, and ask friends to bring checks made to the CF Foundation. They raised $375 in the past! My Aunt makes homemade Jam and sells it in her town & through me on Facebook, she raised almost $300 last year.  Here is the link to her Facebook event she made for it this year!

Also, contests work: For example: I will shave my beard off for $1,000! Really anything could be made into a fundraiser, so please consider doing one and help us out! I have some great ideas for next year to change it up & raise more, but we need to succeed this year in order for us to remain a CF official Great Strides Walk site!

Here is the online link to the CF Princeton Walk registration & info page: http://fightcf.cff.org/PrincetonGS

If you can help or want to start a team in Princeton please let me know! I can help you :-)

Thank you!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u