Skip to main content

Promises, Commitments, Challenges

Wowzer:

I feel my life has been so busy in the last month or so that I can barely keep up with my blog. I discussed some great news in my last post! I was really nervous with my decrease in lung function this year. I wasn't completely sure a hospital stay or 2-3 weeks of IV meds would help (even with steroids). In 2015, I struggled and barely saw an increase after the IVs. So deep down I am always nervous. I was beyond relieved that I'm closing the gap in numbers and increasing. I'd love to continue the climb.

So I have been pushing harder than ever. However, it's exhausting and I'm not completely succeeding at it. I have been keeping on top of the my meds. I have been doing all 3 sets of nebulizers, at least 2 (30 minute) vests. I've been walking a lot, because my  job has gotten quite a bit busier with it being warm out. I currently have 1 client house hunting, 1 working on getting approved, 1 contract in escrow, and a few other clients that are preparing to house hunt. Which isn't a ton compared to most Realtors, but add onto that GREAT STRIDES season, my volunteer work, CF meds and DANG!

I try to attend 5 walks a year (helping co-plan 2 of them), and coordinate all aspects of a 3rd (the Princeton Walk). I help out with a few other CF Foundation events throughout the spring too! I make sure my clients come first, but I honestly LOVE helping with the CF Foundation. Andrew and I have talked about balancing my work and volunteer work, along with my health. I told him my clients have to come first, but IF my Real Estate career ever gets in the way of my advocacy and volunteer work, I'd give up my career. I don't expect to make a big salary with my job. I focus on Real Estate from July - January. But in the spring it is Great Strides Season, so I don't actively seek out new clients in those months. I gladly accept them, but don't spend anything on advertising in those months. I'm in Real Estate because I love two things: People and Houses. Which I think is what is what Agents should focus on, not the paycheck.

My husband is completely on board with volunteering and understands how I have to balance both. I love that he supports me 100% in my CF advocacy. It can be hard to balance CF, Volunteering, and Work.

I've been super busy in the last 2 weeks, as I said I'm keeping up with meds. But, I am actually failing at the food and eating part. Here is what has been happening.. I'm so exhausted physically I sleep til 8am, shower, 1.5 hours of meds & vest, chug a 300 cal ensure, get work stuff gathered, etc. Then I head to show clients homes from 10-12pm. Then into the office, writing contracts, emailing, setting up other showings, searches, etc.. Then around 1 or 2 pm I have to head home to do my meds and vest again.. In the afternoons I shadow an agent, have a training class, or run errands (groceries, pharmacies, etc). Get back home at 4pm... In the evening I either walk with my sister, or have a Realtor event, or have cleaning, laundry etc. I also during this time am making phone calls, sending press releases, designing flyers, etc for the Princeton Walk & other CF events. I usually have to run back to the office to fax something, By the time I get home it's time for night meds...and 7pm when I realize the only thing I ate today was a 300 calories ensure and 70 calories worth of Gatorade. UGH

I've lost weight and I can tell. I'm probably around 101. I really need to get  back to 108 lbs. So many times I have to make a choice: do an hour of nebulizers or have time to make food and eat before I head out again.

But last week we celebrated Andrew's Birthday, so I did get my fair share of calories that night. Andrew had never been to a Hibachi grill, he always talks about it. So I decided to take him there for his birthday. YUM! I've been to a few and let's just say I never leave hungry! I got him a baseball themed cake (last year was minion themed). I hope he had a great birthday dinner, he deserves it! <3

What makes it worse is that I used to walk under 1000 steps a day. Now I'm averaging over 5000 on a workday... So I'm burning a ton more calories. Which is why I'm so exhausted at 10pm, I fall asleep before Andrew even gets home.

I need a better balance. I haven't found it yet and I'm struggling to find it. I love my job and my volunteer work. It's frustrating that if I didn't have the meds to do, I could eat and have no problems... That being said... I WILL continue to push myself. I want my lung function to increase, I want to be more active, I want to be healthier. I have a future to fight for and I will!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u