Skip to main content

Big Decisions

Change is Always Difficult:

Lots has been happening lately and some big decisions need to be made soon.  But first I will share some great news! Last week we hosted a fundraiser at a local restaurant, where we were guest-servers for the night. We had a door prize and a few raffles, and raised an amazing $2,120 that night! Thank you to everyone that helped us. Our servers, volunteers, customers, and the Right Spice for letting us serve there! The total for the event goes to the Princeton Great Strides Walk and all goes to the CF Foundation.

After the night, we all sat down and enjoyed a nice dinner to relax and celebrate! It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to do it again next year! I'm hoping to do one more fundrasier in the fall to supplement the Princeton Walk. A lot people don't realize we can fundraise all year round, that the site is up until the end of December.

Also, I have two contracts in escrow right now, but the BIG thing on my mind is: CF Clinic. I'm mainly nervous, because I'm going to a new clinic. Well, not completely new. I grew up going to this Clinic until I has 26 years old. I loved my clinic and loved my CF Pediatrician.  Doctor C was always there for me. But, when we lived up in Chicago area it was really convenient to switch to Doc B. Especially since Doc C was retired.  There are pros to both centers. Doc B in Chicago is so on top of research and creative ways to treat me. Which is needed, since I'm allergic to so many antibiotics, etc. But, I realized after the month of April, we just couldn't do it anymore.

The month of April I was in the hospital for 8 days and at home on IVs for another 8. Driving 4 hours one way to the Doctors every other month was hard enough. But when you are sick, it's hard driving yourself 4 hour to the doctor's. Otherwise Andrew has to take off work. Plus we pack my meds and food, not to mention the cost for gas. My hospital is 3.5 hours from our house too. So when I was admitted Andrew only got to spend one night with me there and he didn't get to see me the other 6 days. My sister came up for a night and my parents drove up to take me home. It was just soooo far from everyone. But, the icing on the cake was when my mediport wasn't working and if they couldn't fix it I would of needed surgery to replace it. I was sick enough for them to cancel an eye surgery that week and admit me, so I did not want to be alone if I needed surgery. If I was going to the CF center in the town where we live now, my hospital is 20 minutes from our house and less than an hour from most of my family.

It made me realize that too many crazy things happen with CF and that I cannot afford to have all my family so far away when I'm in the hospital. Andrew and I talked about it a long time, but ultimately he said it was my choice. While I do think Doc B is the bomb, I just can't keep up with the distance, too much happens. Why drive 8 hours and sit in a clinic for 2, when there is a great clinic and research center 20 minutes from our house? The doctors at our local clinic are new and I have heard great things. Plus, the rest of the staff is all the same and I LOVED  each and every one of them. In fact, I really missed them and cried when I left them. I'm excited to see them all again. And while, I'm excited to have my CF doctor, hospital, and research center all in the town I live, I'm still beyond nervous.  I really loved it at Doc B's too, but I can't keep up with it.

We moved to Central Illinois and away from Chicago in August, but so far I had been lucky. This last hospital stay made me realize how far apart from Andrew I would be every time I'm sick. But the thing that really drives this decision, is thinking about how it impacts my future kids. Andrew and I both want a family, and do I want my kids growing up driving all the way to chicago for Doctor's all the time, or being 4 hours away from their mom for weeks at a time while I'm in the hospital. No, I don't.  If I was hospitalized in Peoria, my kids could just come up every evening and see me.

I'm not sure how tomorrow will go and I'm very nervous. It's been 5 years since I have been at the local CF Clinic. It's a huge decision to switch care centers and doctors, so I'm hoping I make the right decision.

I'm also nervous to figure out what is going on with my bottom right rib. It has hurt for the last 3 weeks. The rib feels bruised, it hurts when I touch it or cough. It's not my lungs, It doesn't hurt when I breathe in deep and I'm not sick. So, I'm thinking the bottom rib must be bruised or something. Hoping to get some answers about that... Keep you all posted tomorrow. Fingers the transition goes smoothly and I have made the right decision.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u