Skip to main content

Finally, a Career I CAN Handle!

Working with Cystic Fibrosis:

I've have worked a variety of jobs. Daycare Teacher, Server, Retail, Office work, Media, etc.. I know as I got older my ideal career path changed. For example in third grade I wanted to be a ballerina & a teacher. I went to college for Geology and by the time I graduated I was following the path of social work. I started Graduate school in 2013 for Medical Social Work, but just before the first semester finished I got really sick
and realized I couldn't keep up with college or a full time career anymore. I ended up medically withdrawing in November of 2013. I spent a lot of time in the hospital that first semester & my daily med routine is pretty full, learn about it in this post here.

Working a typical 6-8 hour shift is very difficult for me. I do three sets of nebulizer treatments a day, and some days I just don't feel very well. Between GI problems and my arthritis, I very rarely have a day with no problems or complications. Plus, being a server and a few of my jobs caused me to lose a lot of weight. I found very quickly working a "typical 9-5pm job" wouldn't work for me. I'd come home barely able to move, my joints would hurt, I'd have shed 1,000+ calories, and my lungs would be dying for my next meds. Finding a career that is flexible & that I love was KEY! I'm so happy I get to have a career in real estate.

Real Estate is the perfect career choice for me. I have ALWAYS loved houses, architecture and real estate. I started begging my mom to take me through open houses at the age of 8. I started designing floor plans at the age of 10 on graph paper. I kept (and still have) most of them in a binder.

Picture: my  floor plan binder open to a plan I designed years ago when I was in high school, next to my real estate book.

So I LOVE real estate! So why did I not go into the field sooner? I needed health insurance. As a broker, I'm paid based on commission. Typically 1.5% of a home's selling price goes to the broker (working for an office), but it's a purely commission based job. Therefore, since you are not consider an "actual employee" but an independent contractor, benefits are not part of the package. Which makes it a bit of a dangerous field for someone with Cystic Fibrosis.

However, I'm beyond excited to be able to REALLY focus on a career I love for once! So here it is. I'm officially going to be a realtor at Jim Maloof (Peoria, IL area). I'm licensed to sell anywhere in Illinois. After taking all the courses, I had a lot of different things happen. Wedding, moving, getting sick, etc

BUT, proudly I can say I took the licensing exam & will be working as a broker (as soon as I sign the contract Monday)! Being a broker means working a lot of hours, but most of them are flexible. Meaning I can focus on doing meds, even have days off to go to the doctors. Managing CF gets harder the older I get. So I'm hoping this career can be something I love, enjoy, and keep up with for many years to come!

I will keep you all posted on my progress. I know a lot of people with intense medical routines & problems can interfere with working, so I'm hoping this will be a solution for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u

Oh the Joys of a Colonoscopy!

Colonoscopy, Fun: As you may remember from reading my October Posts (  Oct Post #1   &  2nd Oct Post ) that I was admitted a second time that month for Gastrointestinal issues. I was having stomach cramps and what was believed to be Antibiotic Associated Diarrhea. However, CT scan revealed my colon and intestines were inflammed.  After having a rough 2 months of GI issues, and cuting out most food (diary, meat, grease, carbonated beverages, and sugar). I finally am getting a Colonoscopy to see what in the world is going on! I'm been taking Probiotics, was on meds for both C. diff and AAD. I even added driking Kefir to add to the probiotics and good bacteria.  Only now am I seeing any changes, less stomach aches, etc. I add a 1/2 cup pf the Kefir to my smoothie, its not bad -yum! I really reccommend it and Probiotics (so talk to your doctor about it), it could really help you out! Read about Colonoscopies here! So I'm glad to be getting the procedure done. Instead o