Skip to main content

All the Festivities

Home, Sweet Home:

This weekend is Homestead! I haven't gone home for Homestead since 2013. After college I lived in Princeton for a few years, but then when I moved to the Chicago area I couldn't get off work to come home. However, this weekend I do!

Andrew and I went home for my 10 year class reunion in 2013 (pic left).

This weekend it's only for the one day, but I'll be able to see the Parade with my family, check out the craft show, shop at the stores downtown, and even get to check out a new restaurant where Andrew's Cousin-in-law is the GM. I always go home for 5 and 10 year reunions to see my graduating classmates ( I'm also 1 of 3 people that plan our reunions). But this isn't a year where we have a reunion, so I'm just lucky to get to go home for it. I'm excited to see Princeton, I haven't been home since we got married. Which has only been 3 weeks, but feels like a lot longer. In my mind, my hometown is the greatest town in the world. I LOVE IT!


My Facebook newsfeed popped up a "3 years ago..." memory yesterday. 3 years ago on Sept 10th I ran  the Homestead 5k. And everyone in my town that was running it cheered me on. My hometown is so supportive and I'm so thankful. To read the post I wrote after running the 5k click HERE!

Now, my goal will be to finish the CF Great Strides Walks, most in Illinois are between 2-3 miles. Princeton is the shortest, ending up right at 2 miles. This year I had trouble walking beyond 2 miles. I got that farthest at the Cancer Coalition walk in Ladd!

Also, I'm excited to announce in 2016 the Princeton Great Strides Walk will offer multiple levels of sponsorships for the walk to businesses! Which I'm really excited to visit this weekend during Homestead!

This weekend is Homestead, next weekend a family wedding, then we leave on the 27th for our Honeymoon. We will arrive home on the 2nd and then the Peoria CF Walk is on the 3rd! So many exciting events, LOVE IT! And I LOVE the Peoria Walk. We walk on Grandview drive (one of the best views and streets in IL). Plus, this year I helped plan some of the entertainment, etc for the walk. It's been really nice being able to volunteer more.

On top of doing volunteer work (basically emailing and connecting via online), I'm rather enjoying our new town and home! Granted Andrew is still working 14 hour days at least 6 days a week. So I'm home alone a lot, but I'm getting a lot of work done online, plus keeping up with meds, and I've been enjoy making dinner the last week or so. Andrew typically makes dinner, but since he gets off late, it works better if I just have it ready.

The only problem I've had in the last week or so is I've gotten a lot of complex cancker sores and my gums are inflamed. It happens a couple times a year, it all stems from when I got that virus in 2013 from a cold sore. So my body has flare ups now every once in awhile, so it makes it hard to eat acidic or sharp foods. 2013's virus was crazy, read about it here! It usually last a couple weeks, this time it better go away quick, our honeymoon is in two weeks! Otherwise, I'm pretty stable health wise (I think, we'll see next month at Clinic).

One of the perks to Andrew's new job is he knows when all the good sales are at the store. So last week we got to pick up Alaskan Snow Crab for $6 per pound (which is the as cheap as you can get it).

I made Crab legs, potatoes and carrots, cheesy garlic biscuits, and a fresh fruit mix.The whole meal for two cost $15, so $7.50 a person for our own home version of "Joe's Crab Shack." It was a nice little way to celebrate Andrew's success at his new job, our new life in our new town, and take advantage of an awesome sale!

It been a long, but great 3 weeks since our wedding! I can't wait until our honeymoon later this month! I'll make sure to share some Traveling w/ CF tips. And until then I will enjoy Homestead Festival and cousin's wedding. And if anyone wants to donate to our my CF Walk page for the upcoming Peoria Walk please click here! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

So lots going on and I will keep you all updated!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line