Skip to main content

SummerTime

 Who Doesn't LOVE the Summer:

Summer is very much welcomed in our house! Andrew has more time off in the summer. I'm excited he graduates from college this December! Since the Fall of 2013 he has worked full-time while going to school full-time (35-45 hours at work & 12-15 credits per semester). This fall will be a little easier, he only has 2 classes & his Capstone Paper/project. However, he has been working on that this summer so he's ahead of the game. I've been enjoying spending more time with him this summer.


Last night we walked down to the lake and had a picnic dinner. Had to find a shady spot so I didn't get sunburnt, I burn fairly fast from daily antibiotics & fair skin. We got to use one of our wedding shower presents. My mom got us a lawn blanket that zips up, along with the shadowbox, and other items. We love to going to the band concerts & activities in the park. So the lawn blanket will get lots of use. We packed it all up in a picnic basket I got from an Aunt. We had slow roasted chicken (we had cooked all day), fresh sweet corn, tomatoes & cucumbers in vinegar, and some brownies.

Mom sent me home with the platter of brownies on Tuesday. She made them while I was visiting for my cousin's wedding. They are high calorie brownies. haha, as Andrew was plopping one in his mouth, I was like "heads up those are higher calorie." He was like "oh" haha. oh well, they are too good not to eat. Mom's Tip: Add Peanut Butter Powder to shakes & brownies for extra calories. Plus, it's tasty! I talked a lot about high calorie meals & tips in this post HERE!

Obviously, weight is an issue right now, since all those GI problems caused me to lose 10 lbs. My health isn't quite where it needs to be (as you may have read about in my last blog post). But, I'm on track to get it back.  Exercise is sooo important! I think I underestimated it in college. But I can see a BIG difference in my numbers & health when I work out. AND Summer is the perfect time to get involved outdoors, swimming, biking, jogging. I know my health always suffers slightly in the winter. I'm more of an outdoors person and really dislike working out in gyms.

That's one reason we choose to live where we do. We live in an apartment/Condo complex that has a pool and gym that we can use. This helps me out a lot. Its easy for me to use and not spend a lot of time driving to a local gym. We also live on the outskirts of our town, where there are trails that people can bike or walk.

I'm not super athletic, but I still enjoy walking, biking, etc. You don't need to be athletic to enjoy working out though. Its hard at first, but just take baby steps. I started out just walking around the block, now I'm doing 2 times that length and even added some bits of jogging throughout the walk. I shaved off a few minutes of my time.

Do what you need to in order to stay compliant with it. Working out with a friend always seemed to work for me. However, now that I live in a new town that is 1.5 hours away from everyone I know...I use an app on my phone to keep compliant. I have a work out app and a calorie counting app. I get soo busy sometimes I don't eat as much as I should. So now I keep track of my calories on this app and I make sure to hit 3,000 calories a day.

Whatever works for you, just stick with it! It may take time to see the results, so don't be discouraged. For example: in 2012 I went from walking 1 block to jog/walking a 5k. It took me from March- August to get there, so remember just keep trying!

 Enjoy this beautiful weather, look at that sky... anyone seen the Truman Show?? lol 

Keep you all posted on my CF appointment next Thursday, where Doc and I discuss Orkambi (check out the newest research and all about Orkambi here) :-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment