Skip to main content

Swimming is Tough

My Much Needed Health Rehab:

As you know, I've had a lot of health issues in the last year. Liver being elevated, pancreas not working as well, which resulted with me now being on a permanent low-fat, therefore, low-cal diet. So of course, I'm losing weight. But also, I'm struggling breathing wise more. My lung function has been fluctuating between 48-60 since 2012. However, I've have really struggled since last year to keep it at mid 50s. I didn't respond to IV antibiotics in Jan-March this year. I'm now currently at low 50s. Which would be okay, if I couldn't tell the difference it has made on my body.

Because of my lower lung function and energy, I haven't been able to do simple things like carry laundry or groceries.  As I've talked about in a previous blog here, I'm wanting to get back to my 60% lung function, 110 lb self, the girl that had energy to work part time, do theatre at night, and still come home to jog 1 mile before bed. I want to be able to not only ACTUALLY finish a 5k, but be back to my jogging/walking them.

I want to be healthy and I'm tired of not being able to keep up. Being a healthy wife for Andrew is more than enough motivation to get me back on track for working out. But it is sooo tough. If I lift weights I'm sore for 3 days after and I get tired after seriously 5 minutes... If we go for a walk I only make it 1/2 mile before we'd turn back. Bike riding is worse, I make it around the block before panting like a dog. So we try to switch up my "working out" so it's more fun & I don't notice how hard it is. We have lifted weights a few times, gone on walks, done short bike rides, and today we went SWIMMING!!!!

Why is it a big deal that I went swimming? Well, I like swimming at my parent's, cuz it's private. But, I don't like to swim in public pools. I get out of breath easy, have asthma attacks, lifeguards look at me weird, and I've never liked how I look in a swimsuit.

Now don't judge, it has nothing to do with how big/skinny I am. BUT, I have scars everywhere. And one pieces tug on my mediport and my stomach tube, so I was super uncomfortable in them, but didn't want people to see my stomach tube or scars in the past. Hence, not swimming much in public. BUT guess what!!!!! I don't have a stomach tube anymore (read about that here) & I can deal with just scars now!

So here is a picture of me today SWIMMING for the first time in public in a bikini!!!!

We had a pool in our backyard, so even though I get cold fast, I used to swim a lot and rather enjoyed it (or at least floating on rafts...lol). But I haven't been swimming since 2012 at my parent's house. And today I did. But, whew... I can tell how out of shape I am. Never before have I been sore after swimming. I couldn't hold my breath hardly long enough to dunk under the water. It was sooo sad and pathetic. I only swam for 15 minutes, Andrew swam with me and it was fun though. It didn't feel like work at all, so I think it will be a great way for me to work out. I look forward to seeing if I can make a difference in my health.

It's like my own personal rehab. I go to Doc's on Wed, so we'll see how I did weight wise this week :-)

Comments

  1. Swimming is my favorite exercise! I swam regularly until I graduated college. Last year when my lungs were giving me a horrible time and I was so short of breath that exercise felt impossible I joined water aerobics. I was the youngest there by 30 years and could hardly keep up. I kept at it and eventually "graduated" to laps on my own and thankfully am keeping it up. I find my lungs are healthiest when I swim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how much of a work out it gave me, especially considering I was just goofing off and swimming around the pool. I actually never learned how to "swim"..., I'm looking into water aerobics. Plus my joints didn't hurt after, my arthritis makes other exercise tough. I think you're right swimming will be the perfect fit for me. :-) Glad it helped you so much and nice to know if I keep with it, I can look forward to some results. Thanks for sharing :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line