Skip to main content

Day 12 of IV Antibiotics

Time for an Update:

Tuesday is my follow up appointment to see how these new IV meds are working. As you know Doc changed my IV meds out for different ones, because my first 7 days worth of Aztreonam & Tobra didn't do much and I still felt sick a week later (this was last tues). Well, he switched it up from Aztreonam (the med I usually do on IVs) to Piperacillin (which I haven't been on in since around 2010). Piperacillian is slightly related to another antibiotic that I'm allergic to, so he was hesitant. But, I told him I had done it before and was fine. And he knows we are running out of options for meds (I'm allergic to the 3 main antibiotics that CFers take for their psuedomonas).  Picture right: Some of the medical supplies I got.

And guess what.... I think its working. My energy is coming back, my coughs are actually getting better. I haven't used my rescue inhaler for a couple days, AND I can tell I'm on the right track.

So I did 7 days on the first two meds and another 7 days on the new meds. Normally my IV "tune ups" last 14 days. But considering not much happened the first week, Doc may add another week to be more aggressive.

Hey, if it means better lung function and me even healthier then I'm okay with it. We will have to see what happens on Tuesday at my appointment (which I'm stressing out over driving too). I HATE driving in snow, Andrew has to work, and I'm not very excited about it. But this appointment is important for him to see my current lung function to see if I need more meds or not. So I will deal with it.

And I got the Eclipse Balls on Friday, so now I'm not mixing and hanging my IV bags anymore and no need for an IV pole either. YAY! So my life got a littler easier. If you didn't see my Video in last post (scroll down to next post).

Pic left: My IV meds, Nebulizers, etc in our fridge.

Other big news: I will be officially getting some results with the Princeton Walk this week! If you're looking for an amazing way to help out and fight CF. Consider Joining our Walk on 6-27-15 (you can even be a virtual walker), or donate to one of our walkers!    Just CLICK HERE!

Also, as far as Wedding Talk... We got our Save-the- Dates the other day and will be sending them out shortly! We had to make some tough choices, but we have everything for the wedding figured out. Guest List, Venue, Music, etc....

I'm soooo glad that in the last 5 days these new IV meds have really helped! So happy that everything is finally getting back to normal. Whew. Well as normal as my "CF Life" can be. Now to start working out again (now that I have energy for it).  And hopefully my health will show a BIG increase on Tuesday at Docs and will continue to improve with working out, etc.

I can't wait to blog Tues/Wed with an Update!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment