Skip to main content

Tough Girl's Complacency

Don't Forget To Fight:

I'm not the toughest person, but I'd say my Cystic Fibrosis has done a great job of toughing me up. I mean that in a good way. I have endured a lot of needles, surgeries, pain, doctors, and more. But because of these experiences (some I'd call traumatizing) have made me realize that I can face anything. I'm not afraid to work hard for what I want and I know how to deal with anything life might throw at me.

Well right now, life is pretty good. I haven't been on IVs at all this year, only in the hospital for 1 night (for my stomach tube surgery) AND (other than post surgery weight loss) my weight has been stable and slightly increasing ( very slowly). Overall, it has been a pretty stable year. Granted I couldn't work a lot of the year do to my stomach hole leaking issues, then the surgery, plus I've had some weeks where my intestines were acting up (tiny blockages, etc). Still this is a big improvement from 2013 (Here's a reveiw of 2013 post). 2013 was full of hospitalizations and other issues. So I felt happy all this year with my "lack" of serious issues.

BUT I know this 50% lung function and 99- 100 lbs I weigh isn't good enough. I should be at my baseline of 55-57% lung function and 107 lbs.

Sometimes I think the easier years (which 2014 was even with all my stomach tube issues/ surgery problems) can make me complacent.

What does complacency and having CF look like?

It's so easy to not feel the need to push extra hard when your life and your CF is going okay for once. Perfect example. As you have read before my best year was 2011-2012. Why? Because I had to fight hard, I was in a rough position in 2010-2011. I rebooted my whole life. I went from 38% lung function to 60% in two years. I did 100% of my meds (some days even extra albuterals). I walked/jogged at least 3 times a week.

Picture: I used my treadmill more, haha I used to turn my Computer moniter to face the treadmill. I'd watch movies while walking/jogging! Not so much this year... :-(

I ate high calorie meals. I got my weight up to 111 (heighest ever) in the summer of 2012. Why did I do so well? I stayed focused becuase I was beyond scared. I had to work hard. My health was so low at that point my only option to kick my butt in gear. So I did. When you think your headed for a lung transplant believe me you will do anything to keep your health up!

However, when your having a good year (you start to get to focus on other aspects of life, like school, career, etc). The problem is once I start allowing myself to use more of my time to do school, work, or other things then I start to lose time to exercise. I tell myself it's okay..."Well, my lungs are still in the 50s and my weight is decent considering..." so I continue to focus on school and work. However, over time I lose engery and the ability to walk as far (where shopping for groceries can be difficult). That's where I am at now.

So it really is quite a challenge balancing all the different parts of life and CF. I may be tough and I have the scars to prove it, but that doesn't mean I can be in 5 places at once doing my nebs, exercise, schoolwork, and eating, cleaning the house, all at the same time. Ha, wouldn't that be nice though.

So for me even though this year has been good I know I need to step it up. I need to get back on track. I know I'm not perfect and I will fall behind sometimes. Luckily, I have certain times in my life where I can realize I'm off track. And better yet, I have family and friends surrounding me that help me get back on track.

It may seem silly that I can't keep on top of these ( follow my routine), after dealing with Cystic Fibrosis my whole life (a whopping 29 years so far). But maybe this lil description will help. Another CFer posted this online and I think it really explains everything in a way that helps people understand why I can fall behind, It may seem harsh. But it's pretty real for a lot of the CF population.



I'm trying to make some BIG changes to get back on track. Hopefully, my future clinics will show the work I'm putting into my health. Time for me to REBOOT! REBOOT! REBOOT!

Oh and I'm super excited to head to my hometown this weekend, we have Andrew's Family Christmas and some other fun plans! Can't wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers