Skip to main content

The Real Scoop Behind Working

How Working Works:

Since surgery on the 14th I've been really concentrating on catching up in Real Estate. Since the chaos that happened (pre-surgery) I wasn't able to work. So I haven't worked since June. Its crazy, since in 2013, I worked 2 jobs and was taking classes all year, but now I sit at home. 2013 was very tough on me medically. My lung function decreased and I spent over 1/3 of the year on anitbiotic pills and spent over 2 months in the hospital for infections, etc. Since my surgery is over, once I'm healed I can go back to work. Which got me thinking...

I have 51% lung function and Doc B said if it goes down to 49 next clinic (in two weeks) then we may discuss a hospitalization and IV antibiotics to bump up my numbers. In October of 2013 I went from 48 to 64% after a week on IVs in the hospital. Also, since I have stitches in my stomach (the actual organ) and on the outside (on my skin too) I can't use my vest machine. So my lungs are getting even worse and more junky.

I really need to work on this and get my weight back up too. I lost around 8 lbs from my stomach problems. So with all that and classes Andrew thinks I should not go back to work yet. And to be honest I could use the time to study in order to Ace my Real Estate Class and Lincensing Test. If all goes as planned I will be licnesed this Dec or Jan!

So why am I going into Real Estate? To be honest if you know me you know I have struggled over the years to find my career path. For example: in college I did 3 years as an undergrad in Geology, but was unable medically to attend the field camp. I was told I should consider the teaching option. I didn't want to teach. And my Doc had always reccommended I not work in a school or daycare. Well, the DayCare rule I broke for 9 months because I enjoyed it and it was a small school. In college, I took 4 electives in Architecture for fun. I loved Architecture and studying Frank Lloyd Wright in my spare time. But, I knew it was a job with long hours and traveling. Neither fit into my needed life style. Which is when I decided to settle with Psychology and do Grad School for either Orgainzational Psych or Social Work. I had always been curious about the human mind and our thought process. I loved Psychology and I'm glad I got my degree in it. However, when it came time to do Grad School, I had to take a few years in between to get my lung function & weight back up. I needed to focus on me.

While at U of I, I fluctuated in weight between 90-101 lbs. By the time I graduated I was 92 lbs and only 38% lung function. Finally in 2013 I was ready to go back to college for Grad School. I was 108 lbs and 50% lung function. I started at Dominican University and ended up really sick again and in the hospital. I missed over a month and a half of classes. I had to withdraw and then I struggled the following semester and was unable to go back. I knew there was no way Grad School would be in my future. I can't really learn online very well, I'm more of a "in the classroom" learner. So I had to figure out a new plan.

Pics from 2013 - Hospitalizations and IVs.. Not want I want to keep happening.

I had taken Real Estates Classes & passed some courses a few years ago. But I didn't pursue the licensing at the time due to a virus that attacked my body landing me in the hospital. Time flew by and then it was too late. But I loved learning about it. I decided I needed to give it a second try.

Why? Well, there are a few reasons. First, being a Real Estate Broker means I make my own hours and its a little more flexible. I still work a lot of hours, but if I need to take time off for meds I can. The income is purely "commission based". I can do a lot of the work from home. Imagine me updating a MLS while doing therapies. How cool is that! But there is a bigger reason...

This may be weird, so if you don't believe me ask my mom. When I was around 8 years old mom and dad took my sister and I through a few open houses (just to look) and I loved it. I kept begging mom to go through open houses with me in the future for fun. And I still do this regularly. Also, shortly after the age of 8 I started buying magazines filled with floor plans. Every time I had clinic in Peoria we would go to Barnes & Nobles. Ada would get a book and I got a magazines filled with blue prints. Then Mom bought me graphing paper and I started designing my own. I have a huge binder filled with houses I've designed from childhood to recent.
See pic to the left...

 I was more than obsessed. When my sister and the neighbors were drawing flowers or hearts on the driveway, I was drawing floor plans. I'd run inside: "Mom, come walk through my house" I'd then play pretend that I was an agent. Not kidding.

Here is the biggest (honest) reason I didn't go right into real estate. I wanted a bachelor's degree and also I know Real Estate is an independent field. So I wouldn't have a steady salary with any benefits. I was terrified by the idea of not having good medical benefits. It still scares me but I know that once Andrew is teaching he will have good benefits. So whew.. I'm going to give Real Estate a chance.

I really think it will be the perfect fit for me. I can work extra hard the months I'm healthy and step back a bit when I start feeling sick. I can arrange my schedule as needed and best of all... I will actually LOVE my career!!

My Cystic Fibrosis controls a large chunk of my day. I need:  9 breathing treatments (3 sets of 3 throughout the day), 1 hour of a vest treatment, to maintain 3,000 calories and get at least 8-9 hours of sleep. Having a career with CF (for me) needs a careful balance in order to pay the bills and keep my health up! It can be tough work, but eventually it all worked out for me! I hope... lol



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers