Skip to main content

Cheriz the Lab Rat & the Unpleasantries...

I'm a Lab Rat!


Yep, that's right I started a new clinical trial yesterday! I did one clinical trial from November of 2013 until last month and now I'm starting another one! I love everything about it (scroll down to read last weeks' post about why I do clinical trials). I was really excited to start this trial, its a new drug for me. My last trial consisted of me just doing meds/stuff I already do, this time I really felt more like a lab rat.

Now, don't get me wrong, we aren't quite lab rats, these meds have gone through previous testing. Not that it matters much to me, I'd do it anyway. I've always been a little obsessed with experiments. Let's face it I was a Psychology Major and the classes I excelled at most were Statistical Reserach and Research Method classes, so yes.... you may call me a nerd. But I loved proving the importance of research through statistical analysis. I actually enjoy being involved in the clinical trials and reading the published results.

So here I am chilling in the Doc's office.

After the appointment, I came home and chilled. I did meds, packed some for the big MOVE (read about it HERE). Then Andrew and I had some fried Cod for dinner. It was delicious, I really love fish. YUM!!!

However, here come the unpleasantries..

I had a coughing attack right after dinner and ended up throwing up my entire dinner. Ew, why am I telling you this? Its gross right... Well its a part of my life.  Laying down the wrong way can cause me to cough. Coughing leads to throwing up quite often. I stopped drinking milk, cause I found that made it worse. Since cutting milk out I've cut down how much I throw up. However, coughing attacks sometimes come out of nowhere... and I can't control it. Also, in the winter or when its cold out that can cause some issues too! I cough more when my lungs breathe in the cold air and if I have recently eaten, uh oh, it just happens. I throw up my meals, life is always exciting with me. But nobody wants to throw up all the time, so how do I try to avoid this...

1. I carry a bottle of water or gatorade with me (taking sips while coughing to try suppress it)

note: normally I would never suppress my cough. BUT, if it means keeping my high calorie meal down, then suppress away..lol)

2. I don't go out in the cold until my food has settled for 20 minutes (similar to swimming after eating.lol)

and lastly...

3. I watch my breathing while I'm eating ( I noticed I'm sooo thristy I tend to forget to breathe while glugging down my whole drink). I also try not to drink a lot until after I have eaten anymore (just to make sure I don't fill up on my drink). This also helps me gain wight (I have lots of other weight gain tips & recipes Here!) and I love FOOD, but don't love having it come back up. So for the most part these three simple tricks have helped (along with cutting out a lot of dairy)!

I know lots of CFers have issues with food, lots of us are diagnosed with IBS, Gastroparesis, sometimes even Crohn's or just have lots of intestinal blockages and surgeries (like me). Our stomachs are sometimes more trouble than our lungs and this is overlooked a lot. Most people think this is a "lung disease" but really it affects much more than that! My intestinal operations were very serious and the scariest moments (those moments when your not sure if you will be okay or not...). My intestines scare me way more than my lungs! So please understand we have other issues besides lung problems. For example here is a pin I found that helps illustrate this point.

Hope this helps you understand a little bit more!

 * And remember never expect me to eat a quick dinner and walk to the car from the restuarant in the winter, or uh oh spaghettios... Just ask my Aunts... They can vouch it ain't pleasant!

OH, and some GREAT NEWS: Some more checks have been made out the CF Foundation on behalf of our walk, so our total is even a little higher. I'll keep updating the amount! Check back next week for a new total! And if you haven't read about the Walk--- check out the results Right Here!


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers