Skip to main content

What Else Should I Do?

Need Some Feedback.


      May has almost come to an end. I love May, nice weather, summer starts, AND its Cystic Fibrosis
Awareness Month! A lot of the CF walks are in may and its a great time to raise funds and awareness for CF! However, I'm also excited that it will be June soon! June 28th is the Princeton Cystic Fibrosis Walk. I've helped organize other events in the past. Whether for school or other non-profits I've volunteered at, but this CF Walk is a little different. It is the first time, I've put together a City event. Or put together an event that is so near and dear to my heart. I'm so thankful that I had so many people sign up so quickly. Pretty much everyone family member I have on my mom's side signed up the first day. And I've have had some family and friends help me (giving me ideas, helping me recruit, etc). But, Its the first time I didn't have a committee or team behind me to help execute the ideas and actually plan the event. I love planning, so I have enjoyed every bit, but because I've put so much into this, I'm nervous it won't completely succeed. If this walk succeeds or fails I feel like is really mostly my doing, which I think is why I'm so nervous. I'd be really proud and beyond excited if we can reach our goal of 100 walkers and raise $10,000 for CF research! We've reached 55 walkers and raised $2,200 so far. Over 45 of those walkers are my family and/or close friends.
     I guess I've hit a wall and I'm not sure how to get more people from the community invovled. We've been at 55 walkers since April. I've contacted all the radio stations, sent off press releases to 4 newspapers/newletters. We had a beautfiul story printed in the BCR (even on the front page) about Cystic Fibrosis and the walk (Read the Paper's Story HERE). I put up flyers all over the town. And I've sent more letters out to other family and friends that I wanted personally invite to join us at the walk. I've been tweeting, facebooking, and pushing the walk via all social media outlets (Check out the CF Walk page on my Blog) . I'm in the middle of sending invites and donation letters to businesses which will help us raise more money. But I'm not sure how to get more people to come to the walk.
    Do I need to plan more for the walk? I have pizza, chips, and dessert planned for post- walk. During registrationI have a couple people who are going to do face painting, I'll have music playing, and there will be some raffles. I've been thinking about doing a 50/50 raffle too. I thought about a photo booth type idea... And how else can I get the news out that we are hosting a walk? I guess I'm in need of some feedback to figure out what everyone else thinks!

What would you do to get more people involved? What activities would you plan?

Please feel free to leave comments below or message me personally with any feedback. I just want to make this a fun and exciting event that will raise lots of money for CF research. So any and all feedback will be helpful, the more minds involved the better the event will be :-)

Comments

  1. It sounds like you're doing a great job of organizing this. I would guess you'll have a lot of people who register the day of the walk. Since you have such a supportive group already maybe encouraged them to get their friends to sign up. Make it into a competition and have prizes for the person who raises the most money and the person who convinces the most walkers to sign-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Competition is a great idea. I could prolly gets ome local shops etc to give me gifts to give away (like gift cards,etc). Hmmmm.. I like where you are going with this. And thanks, I'm trying, but def. need to make a committee to help me out next year. Thanks Kym!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers