Skip to main content

We Need Lungs and We Need Them Now!

Fighting For Lungs:

  I know many of you are following my blogs about my best friend Laura. If you haven't read my past blogs about Laura's struggle you can read them here: First Blog: The Reality- Beginning of Laura's Fight and 2nd Blog: The Big Fight- Trying to get a Transplant Before it's Too Late. These two past blogs will catch you up on the situation and help you to understand the hardships Cystic Fibrosis patients go through. Especially the transplant journey, which is full of procedures, exams, doctor's appointments. And that is pre and post transplant (tx). Transplants take time, dedication, and lots of hard work! Which I know Laura can do!   (Picture: Laura doing her nebs yesterday!)

However, transplant evaluation is a long process. You can't be considered until you reach a low enough lung function, but then like in Laura's case a couple of bad lung infections over just a few months dropped her lung function to 18% and she continually declining. However, now because she is so low it is harder to the team to decide. Which is scary stuff. I do think about what this could mean for me in the future too, which is a whole different worry on my mind. The whole process is complicated and with CF being so complex and unique with each patient it can make it more difficult. Different centers have different standards too. Some states have tons of restrictions, like weight, type of bacteria in lungs, diabetes or other medical complications. And these can get in the way. However, some centers are amazing and accept even the most desperate situations. Laura did get denied (due to some complications) at her Florida Transplant Center, but she is trying Duke in North Carolina next. Here is a link telling you about Duke: HERE!! Duke accepts transplant cases with more severity such as low lung function and higher risk . problems. Another great center, which even accepts Cepacia B. cases is UMPC in Pittsburg, PA. What is Cepacia B.? Well here is an explanation for ya: Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Cepacia B definition. Read about them Here! Therefore, hope is never lost. Here is a youtube story about Jamie (JamieBug). She picked up and moved to another state to get her lungs! She is a great example for other CFers who are struggling and feeling lost!

The video is about 9 minutes, but you will get the full story pre-tx, during tx, post tx! Please watch it to understand nothing is impossible. We just have to work very hard for it!




or watch at youtube: JamieBug's Lung TX

Now to read about Jamie today, visit her blog: http://jamiebug.blogspot.com/

She is great example of what hard work, determination, and the community's support can achieve! But in order for Laura to be able to go to North Carolina's Transplant Center and keep fighting we need to help support her!  There are many things you can do: 1. Send her a card! (message me for her address) 2. Donate to her online fund:  Right Here!

Let's help encourage her and help her get new lungs! You can do it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Clinical Trial Mess

A Clinical Trial Mess: Monday, I had an appointment for a clinical trial evaluation. Let me start out by saying, I always get  amazing care at my doctors...HOWEVER, this evaluation was done by a third party brought in to handle the research. The research nurse was a flibberty jibbet. She was nice, but kept just re-organizing her supplies, like she didn't know what to do. She seemed nervous. She mentioned she usually had another nurse with her. She took my weight, height, urine test, pre-med spirometry test (PFT-pulmonary function test) Next she decided to draw the blood, while waiting for the pft results to print. She got out the supplies and the sterile paper that she places it all on. She dropped te paper on the floor and proceeded to place the packaged needles and supplies on it.... So in my head I tell myself "Okay...( inhale control exhale my germfreak...) it's okay, it won't kill me..it only touches the bottom of my arm, not the actual place that she is dra

Laura/Lara- two amazing gals

Laura and Lara Today, was a pretty normal day. Work, Meds, Jog, Blog. Instead of jogging, we walked 2.5 miles. (which I recorded in my spreadsheet and I will be doing data analysis later using all the variables I can come up with...) But here is the more EXCITING part of my day: I was asked a week ago to be a guestblogger for  Lara's Blog . She is climbing  Mt. Kilimanjaro to raise awareness & funds for CF in memory of her best friend Emma! I hope everyone goes to her blog and wishes her good luck! She posted my introduction and guestblog today!!! So check it out  Right HERE! Lara, Thank you for your hard work and dedication to helping find a cure for CF! AND then there is Laura ( a different Laura), she is my best friend. Laura has CF too (we met when we were really young)!!! I know she has been going through a tough time. But she is the one who got me invovled in CF awareness! My first CF fundriaser was in 2008 at a CF Walk that Laura told me I should do... and I hav

Cystic Fibrosis= a lot of recycling

CF and Recycling: I never realized how much I recycled until I moved to a town where I don't receive curb-side pick up. Instead we fill up our trunks and drive it 20 mins to a neighboring town's recycling center. Also, my pharmacy is in this town, just a few blocks away.  It's meant to be.... I've always recycled a lot and have been earth friendly. I have convinced quite a few others into being "recyclers" too. Most of my college roommates and friends learned early on it was easier to break down the  boxes, rinse out the cans, and recycle, rather than here my 20 minute "soapbox" talks every time I found a recyclable product in the trash. Just ask them...lol So I've heard people discuss the fact my recycling container in the kitchen is your average 13 gallon can, whereas my trash in the kitchen is small (like a bathroom or an "under the desk" size can) is beyond weird looking. They may look funny next to each other. But th