Skip to main content

Chuggin Along....I think I can, I think I can!!


Chuggin Along:

I think I can, I think I can... I know, I know, famous words. Who would of thought that the Little Engine that could, would ACTUALLY inspire someone. Well, those are words I repeat sometimes, when I'm trying to accomplish something tough! Putting my own N-G Tube down my nose, changing my Stomach Tube, walking after some of those groan surgeries, and WHENEVER I run... I need that saying.  


It's pretty amazing how certain things can inspire someone! I like to replay certain songs over and over like "you can count on me "by Bruno Mars. I LOVE IT. I know that I'm trying really hard right now to stay inspired to work at getting my lung function back.. I'm 100% Compliant since mid November. Wow, that means I have done 9 nebulizers (breathing treatments, and 45 minutes of my vest)every single day. I'm pretty amazed. See what all my day entails and how I've been compliant HERE! Now.. I haven't been in School the last month, or working (besides studying on my own, and house work). So I have been able to make time for all my meds and stuff I need to do to stay healthy.

But, for some reason my stats are low again. I was at 64% in October after the hospital, and I'm down to 50% again. So on Jan 6th I have my next clinic. So I need to really try hard to get it to come back up in Jan!!! Otherwise, I'll end up on IVs and have to push back my "back to work" start date, which is in two weeks! That will mean not being able to work in Jan either. bummer. SO how can I do that? What should I do?

I've been staying 100% complaint. ----check!
I've gained my weight back & more (at 108 lbs) ----check!
Taking all my pills----Check!
Eating Right-----Check!
Walking More, doing lil exercises----Check!
Sleeping 8 hours a night----Check!

Man, I feel like trying to bring my lung function up/CF has been a full time job lately.

So why am I only at 50% lung function when I was at 64% last month! I have no clue...

BUT if you look in 2012 in September I was also in the 60s for lung function. I wasn't on IVs or any oral antibiotics. I did however, start jogging in May 2012 and did a 5K in September. (Read about the 5K and how I started joggging HERE!)  It was really hard for me ( I have really bad asthma related issues too and wheeze alot), but if I did it once, I can do it again! I need to do more than walk on the treadmill and actually bust out the jogging mode! I feel that jogging really contributed to my high lung function. But, I feel like with all my meds, work, school and life it was too much to jog. But I need to start jogging again now, while I have the time and see if it brings me back up.

The large spike towards  the end is right after my October hospital stay...but the last notch that drops is me on Dec 20th... Hopefully jogging is the key. And its not due to having an infection...

I'm hoping in the next week to add a lot more walking and some jogging into my daily routine to see how it goes. Today is Sunday, so let's see how I do everyday this week with not only meds, but exercise. I'll keep a journal of it and share next sunday with you all!

Who knows maybe I will do another 5K this spring!!!! :-) Even thought it was very tough and it hurt my lungs. I was soo proud and loved the feeling of being able to accomplish it! I'm going to start working towards another 5K! Perhaps, I get a friend to even jog it with me!

Do you have any good exercise tips? or how to start jogging stories to share? Feel free to share them below!


Comments

  1. Thanks Kym, the beginning of the week was a so start exercise wise. But I'll kick myself into gear! Hope you and Ed have a great New Years!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line