Skip to main content

In the Hospital: I'm not a car, but I need a tune-up



In the Hospital: Tune Up Time

IEvery so often as a child I would go in the hospital for a "tune-up." However, I switched to a different doc in May of 2011 and this doc doesn't really believe in "tune-ups" in the same sense my old doc did. My old Doc put me in at least twice a year on meds, even without a big decrease in lung function. My new Doc explained that he doesn't put CFers on antibiotics or IVs unless it is necessary, due to superbugs and growing immunity to them. Plus, I'm allergic to Bactrum, Levaquin, and Keflex and their cousins (3 main antibiotics they use for us). So gotta be careful.
 But as you all know, from reading previous blogs, that my lung function has decreased from 61 to 49% since summer of 2012. But last month, it went from 54 - 49%which is quite the drop for two months,especially for me. I'm pretty healthy and stable most the time.
Well, in the last couple weeks I noticed walking into to school and even work would take a lot of energy out me and I would get out of breath easy. I was reluctant to admitt it,but eventually I started coughing and wheezing more. Andrew basically put me in my place and told me I had to call doc. He always explains to me how much he loves me and wants me to be healthy, because he can't stand to see me sick or struggle. So I give in and call doc (and he's always right).
Sure enough, here I am in the hospital, he thinks my lungs have just accumlated a lot of junk in them and it may take some time to get them cleared out. They have me on antibiotic and steriod ivs, so they have to watch my blood sugar. Also, they are taking my blood to watch my cell counts, vitamin levels, etc. I'm doing 4 rounds of treatments a day. I'm hoping to be out next week and back home, where I can start making sure to keep up with meds and walking/jogging on the treadmill. Exercise really helps with keeping my lung function up. So I need to get back into jogging and training again.
I'm so lucky to have a guy who supports me. He convinces me to call doc when I need to! And this week when I wasn't feeling well and sleeping most of the time, he would go to classes, make me lunch, get my meds ready, go to work, and come home that night and he cooks more food and gets my feeding ready. I feel bad when I'm sick, cuz he does all of the work, but he never grumbles, he enjoys doing it. I once asked him if he would ever resent it or get tired of it. and he always responds  "I love you, I enjoy doing this, because I can help you, you have so much you have to deal with and all I want to do is make it a little easier, so you can focus on be healthy and happy, because that is  what makes me happy"
(above: my iv is accessed in my port in my chest and I'm wearing the mask from admission)
I'm so lucky to have such an amazing guy, it makes me want to work harder, be healthier, and I'm definetly happier :-) I love you, Andrew! You are amazing!
We are hoping my lung function will increase from this hospital stay and give me back some energy. Then when I get out, we are going to figure out a schedule, so I can do all my meds, stomach feeding, lift weights, jog, and do school and work. I want to get healthier, I can get healthier. Every time I go into the hospital, I take it as an opportunity to look at my life and fix it to get healthier. Its a chance to reboot and start over. A clean slate and I'll take it....


Comments

  1. were a like in many ways I love you laura

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u