Skip to main content

Cysters and Fibros- and what's on my mind.

Cysters and Fibros:

Before I get into a discussion about Cysters and Fibros and our online CF community, let's fist pump at the fact I have done 10 nebulizer treatments and my stomach feeding every day since New Years. I EVEN jogged today, it was at 5am, but it counts!

The last couple nights I have been thinking about the Online Community CFers (ppl w/Cystic Fibrosis) have built. The terms Cyster ("sister" with CF) and Fi-BRO ("bro" w/CF) is what have we have started to call each other in online groups. It makes sense when I think about how much we share with each other online. I'm in 5 CF sites/ groups. I have gotten to know quite a few people this way, and have become good friends with some too!

It may seem weird that people can get to know each other so well online, but you have to remember CFers are discouraged to be around other CFers, since we can spread the "CF bugs" from one to the other. Therefore, I , like many, go online to share my negatives and positives about CF.

However, where it gets a little weird, is when I think about stuff I have  shared on CF pages and not with non-CF friends that I see day to day. I tend to not want to drag them into my "CF stuff."

It's weird knowing they aren't part of that. I've been up the last couple nights just thinking about how much I want to keep getting healthier.

 Take Sunday for example:  I saw on one of our groups that a fellow Cyster (an upbeat, amazing girl that was my age) passed away. I also saw another "cyster" friend is on the transplant list. And I was reminded Danny's 28th Birthday would have been next month. It just made me realize how forunate I am and how much harder I want to push to keep myself as healthy as possible. Sunday was a huge motivation to keep me on the right track. I thought about it for a long time that night, then thought about more ways the CF community could reach out to each other while I was jogging that morning. Sometimes going for a jog makes me think better, and get my mind and thoughts out of the way of my sleeping. I will wake up wide awake thinking, so I go jog, clear my mind, and go back to sleep... It works. During my Jog, I thought of a lot of ways/ideas that I can take my personal experiences and use them in my career (Medical Social Worker) to help other CFers. I want to make sure CFers have the programs, meds, machines, financial help, and all other kinds of help that may be needed, in order to help them achieve their goals and maintain their health. All the online and social networking that is available today can help me to achieve this goal!


When tough days happen, it can be hard to think about everything. But the toughest thoughts or days always motivate me the most.

I'm going to continue to do all my meds (10 breathing treatments) and stomach feeding every day, while jogging when I can. (note: I have gone upa few lbs in the last week too) On the right track and very much looking forward to my next clinic! :-)

Comments

  1. Hi Cheriz!!! I have enjoyed following your life and how you kick CF's butt. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    So you have to do 10 breathing treatments a day?!?! They cannot just be HTS and pulmozyme 5 times each......What meds are doing?

    You are one very dedicated cyster my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    Thanks, I ennjoy following your blog too (cute Christmas photos of you and your family)! I do Albuteral, Hypetonic, Pulmo, Cayston (in morning). Then Albut, hypertonic, cayston (afternoon), and then those 3 again at night. = 10. When on Tobi instead of Cayston I do 9.

    I haven't always been this dedicated. In college, I slacked off a lot and paid the price with my lung function. Now, I'm just trying to turn that around and help show others they can too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line