Skip to main content

Speaking Up!

Speaking up about my CF: Why Now?

Well, why not? First of all, I grew up in a small town and everyone already knows I have CF (for the most part). So I never thought about awareness and advocacy much.  It hit me while away at college that nobody knew I had CF. So instead of going home to do meds, I would just kept hanging out with friends.

I was so sick during those years and that is one of the main reasons my lung function dropped to the 30%s.  So I started to share that I had CF with some people, close friends, etc. They eventually convinced me to do some Stand-Up Comedy about it to raise awareness. So I auditioned and made a show for the Big Ten Network. I announced I had Cystic Fibrosis on T.V.

Click here for youtube of Clippings from that TV show :  Click here for youtube version of my TV debut doing Stand-Up!  (bare with me, its my first time doing CF Stand Up. I start about 10 minutes into the clip)

My CF ddin't seem to bother anyone. I just don't hide anything, I don't see why I should. I now bring my nebulizer machine into backstage during shows to do my nebs, and I take my pills no matter where I am at now (as long as I don't forget them)

I now post about CF on Facebook, blog about it, talk about it, and try to share about it as much as possible. 1. I'm not ashamed of it 2. Spreading awareness, helps raise fundraising/research for a cure 3. I want to be a role model to others with CF and show them that is okay to share about it.

Also, the truth is the older I get the more I have to fight my CF to stay on top of it. Since, I have to work harder to stay healthy, I want more people to hear about CF, and (of course) find a cure someday. Whether there is a cure in my lifetime or not, I want to know that without a doubt I tried my hardest to help find a cure and that if/when a cure is found, I know I did that tiny bit to help find it!

I got an email from someone asking me to be a speaker for a CF gala next year and I hope I do get the opportunity to speak. Because I'd love to continue to give back to the doctors, nurses, and staff that continually help us everyday to fight!

Oh, and incase you are wondering... Dr. B got my TOBI!!!! He got it approved somehow by the insurance! Total Count of meds he has gotten me in the last year Dr. B = 4 Insurance= 0

Comments

  1. awesome! I loved seeing this, you did an awesome job and (not to sound condescending) but you are cute as a button!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! I love doing Stand Up Comedy! I haven't done it in a while, I've written some new stuff, but need to find time to get back on stage to perform it! Glad you enjoyed and thanks for thinking I'm cute! (and who doesn't like a compliment).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u