Skip to main content

Inspector Gadget Parts. Malfunction.



I tend to joke I'm an Xmen (since I have mutated DNA) and that my weird medical devices are my inspector gadget parts. Go-go-gadget automatic IV Line. Convenient? I'd say so.The next day I have off from work that I don't have school I am going to make my appointments for that day. I just hope it is within the next few weeks.


You may remember me blogging a couple weeks ago about some problems I have been having with my mediport (automatic IV line that is in my chest) and my g-tube (my stomach feeding tube). Well I need to have a surgeon look at the G-tube to see what size I need to put in. Dr.B thinks the one I have may not be the right size.  Which, I'm not looking forward to changing it again, BUT I get the new style tube (the mini) which is smaller and thinner, so it is easier to hide under a bandaid. I'm looking forward to not taping gauze around my G-tube anymore. Its really hard to hide that sometime and it is impossible in swimsuits. Plus, scraping off tape marks everyday doesn't equal fun.

I know I shouldn't be, but I am a little self-concious about it. But I know how much I need it, since I can tell a difference in energy on nights that I do my feeding and nights I don't. So I keep it in. It's just smarter for me. But now I will be able to hide it and no more GAUZE! YAY! Excited!

And my mediport has been hard to flush, so I need to have them put TPA through my mediport. I have never had this done before, I'm a lil nervous, since I'm allergic to so much. But if i have an allergic reaction I have faith in the staff. I have to go to an outpatient lab at St. Alexis (first time ever at that hospital, kinda of excited to see what it looks like). However, I've had my mediport since 1996. Most ports are lucky to last even 6-8 years. I've had mine for 12. I tend to baby it. I don't use it for blood draws, only long term IVs that I have to do at home (mediports are great for hiding needles). I can go to class, perform in musicals, do anything with them (well except swim) :-).

But this means my mediport doesn't do "blood returns" well. I'm okay with that. That is why I have arms and I don't mind nurses not getting mine on the first stick ( I know my veins are tiny). My arms are great learning tools  :-) However, fingers are crossed the TPA works, so I don't have to have surgery to replace my mediport.

Not gonna lie, haven't had a surgery since 2003 and I don't want to pick up the "habbit" again. Plus, anesthesia and I don't mix well. Since I'm a new hospital I have to hope I get a surgeon as talented and sweet as Dr. Vagunta. He placed my mediport perfectly (nobody even knows its there) AND all my scars all smooth thanks to him.

So next day off I have in the next 3 weeks, I'm driving up to Chicago and getting everything figured out! Ready to have it all fixed! Can't wait!

Comments

  1. Well, I can vouch for the not knowing all this stuff was there. I didn't notice any of it at all. I honestly thought (before reading your blogs) that your enzymes and stuff were just syringes like diabetes. This is John btw. Strange it doesn't let me comment as a Facebook user.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiring lady. You take CF lightly and you grace well with life. The advent of such medical device is extremely beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, thanks. Yeah, I try to conceal it for the most part (so people don't give me weird looks). but if I'm open to sharing about it for sure. I'm not ashamed I have a feeding tube or mediport, just I don't know what others think.

    Heidi, Thank you. All the new medical devices are extremely helpful. Cf makes life interesting, there is never a dull moment. I don't mind it and besides if I can do well, then maybe I can help others who are younger learn to do well too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Updates!

 Hey everyone! Sorry it’s been a while. Covid struggles have been all around and we have been focusing our on our kiddo and current life situations (jobs, home, everything really). We have been posting regularly on the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/CherizCFPage). We will keep you updated on there for now,  because we are doing some big changes to our current blog! Stay tuned!  In meantime, message our FB page if you need anything. Keep safe and stay happy.  We will be back. Promise! 

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment